chapter six

"You won't regret it, I promise." Iris walked over to Eli and Demetri who were standing in the middle of the Cobra Kai dojo. She was dressed in her gee while the two boys were wearing the same clothes that they wore to school.

"Why'd I let you talk me into this?" Demetri groaned looking up from his phone. The fight in the cafeteria has been circling around the school and everyone now wanted to be apart of Cobra Kai. "This goes against everything I stand for. It's like extra gym class for no reason." Iris rolled her eyes at Demetri's Debby downer attitude, hoping that he wouldn't drag Eli down with him.

"Let's just give it a chance. You saw the fight. Miguel kicked ass."

"That's the spirit Eli." Iris smiled over at the boy before walking to the front of the class when Sensei Lawrence spoke up.

"Quiet!" All the students stopped talking and looked over to the man dressed in black. "Face front." Iris held her spot in between Miguel and Aisha, looking proudly to Sensei Lawrence. "Nice shirt." Sensei Lawrence began walking through the crowd of new recruits, stopping to comment on Demetri's shirt.

"Thanks-"

"I'm joking. It sucks." Iris had to hold back her smile as Sensei Lawrence picked on Demetri a little, glad that someone was able to shut him up. "Word of advice. If you got shit for teeth, don't smile. God, makes me feel like a virgin just looking at you." Iris turned her head and searched for Eli in the crowd, once she spotted him she smiled realizing he was already watching her. She winked over at the boy who immediately looked to the floor, a blush covering his cheeks.

"When I look around this dojo, I don't see Cobra Kai material. I see losers, I see nerds. I see a fat kid with a funny hat with his tits popping out. But in my short time as a sensei, I've also seen some miracles." He paused his speech, looking over at the three students standing in front. The three smiled over at their sensei as he continued. "So, maybe there's some hope for you yet. But, first I need to see where you're at. So everybody fall in!" No one moved, unsure of what exactly that meant. "That means line up."

Iris had to hold back a laugh as the students began to make lines behind Miguel, Aisha and herself. She felt someone grab her hand and give it a small squeeze, not even having to turn around to know it was Eli. She felt the scar that covered his right index finger that he got when they were 11 and accidentally broke a vase. He tried to clean it up so his mom didn't find out but he ended up cutting himself and needing 3 stitches. She squeezed his hand back as Sensei Lawrence sighed.

"No, not...not line up in a line. Lines! Get in lines."

"You mean like rows?" Iris giggled under her breath as Sensei Lawrence dropped his head into his hands, quickly realizing this was going to be a long practice.

***

"Fighting positions!" Iris lifted her fists up to her face, Eli watching and mimicking her. "Jab punch. Nope, wait till I say go." It was silent for a moment before Sensei Lawrence spoke up again. "Hiyah!" Iris leaned forward throwing a jab punch and waiting for the next command. "Hiyah! Hiyah! Hiyah! Come on. Stand straight. Plant your feet in there." Sensei Lawrence corrected a kid before moving on. "Hiyah! Are you sure you're right handed? Hiyah! Hiyah! Come on, tits you can do better than that. You got weight use it. Ready? Hiyah! Hiyah! Hiyah! Hey lip." Iris froze in her stance, not knowing but dreading the words that were going to come out of Sensei Lawrence's mouth next. "Yeah, you. The one with the freaky lip. Who do you think I'm talking to?"

"Excuse me, uh, Mr. Lawrence."

"Sensei Lawrence!" Aisha corrected Demetri who raised his eyebrows and let out a sarcastic ok.