chapter thirty-five

"Let's go, slowpoke!" Iris held a stopwatch in her hand as Miguel used crutches to go through an obstacle course Mr. Lawrence had made. "Move those gimp legs!" Mr. Lawrence was seated in Miguel's wheelchair, rolling next to the boy.

Iris cringed as Miguel ran into one of the white pipe things, looking down at the stopwatch she stopped the counting.

"Let's try that again." Iris smiled encouragingly at the boy as Mr. Lawrence threw his head back in annoyance.

The three were now in Mr. Lawrence's apartment, Miguel laying on his back doing sit-ups with a small keg. Iris sat on the man's couch, already voicing her objection but Mr. Lawrence just waved her off.

"Go, Diaz." Miguel sat up again, Mr. Lawrence leaning forward to grab the long hose connected to the keg. "Okay, there. Hold it, hold it, hold it." Iris scoffed as Mr. Lawrence filled up a red solo cup, splashing Miguel with some beer along the way. "Feel the burn. Feel the burn. Looking good. Alright, ten more!" Mr. Lawrence smacked the keg as Miguel went down.

The three were back outside, Miguel going through yet another obstacle course. Mr. Lawrence had wrapped yellow string around a bunch of cones, having Miguel maneuver between the rope.

"Go, Diaz! Move it!" The older man clapped as Miguel passed the yellow string, walking up to the next part. Miguel slowly walked up the short steps made out of cinder blocks, shifting onto the thin wood panel that laid on top.

"Alright, Sensei, I think I'm getting the hang of it." Iris smiled of at Miguel as he looked down at the two, pleased with his progress.

"Oh, yeah? Think fast." Iris watched with wide eyes as the man threw a weighted ball towards the boy. Miguel quickly moved to catch the ball, standing still for a second before falling backwards.

Iris dropped her head into her hands, groaning as Mr. Lawrence decided to move on. Back in his apartment Iris sat on Mr. Lawrence's couch watching Miguel use his legs to push up the coffee table.

"Looking good." Iris looked over to see Mr. Lawrence flipping through the magazine he tried to bribe Miguel with a few days ago. "Looking real good."

"Who, Miguel or..." Iris looked over the man's shoulder at the swimsuit model. "Victoria?" Iris chuckled as Mr. Lawrence turned to look at the girl, easily pushing her off the couch. The girl let out a groan as she landed next to Miguel, the boy smiling over at her.

"Here it comes!" Iris watched in worry as the three returned outside, trying out the wood plank and weight ball thing once again. Miguel had started to feel more in control of his legs and he wanted to see if he was right to feel that way.

Mr. Lawrence threw the ball Miguel's way, the boy immediately catching it. The three stood in surprise as Miguel's crutches fell to the ground and the boy not falling with them.

"What are you waiting for, keep going!" Miguel tossed the ball back to the older man before shimming down the plant. Once he was done he turned to his Sensei, the two high fiving and going in for a hug.

Iris felt tears prickle at her eyes as Miguel turned to her, his arms open and a huge smile on his face.

"No, you come to me." Miguel laughed as the girl refused to move, slowly moving one foot in front of the other to walk over to the girl. When he was close enough Iris threw her arms around his neck, her head buried into the boys neck. "I'm so glad you're okay." Miguel squeezed the girl tightly, his lips pulling into a line as he closed his eyes.

Mr. Lawrence watched the two, tears threatening to fall from his own eyes. His first two students, both incredibly damaged and hurt, were finally healing. And they weren't doing it alone, not this time.