forty three

SIMON

one moment i'd been driving normally. the next, i wasn't even sure what had happened. 

there was blood on my forehead, that much i knew. there was a gash, and blood was dripping down onto my cheek. i wasn't sure where else i was hurt, but i did know that i was stuck. i couldn't move...my legs were trapped. 

a car accident? it must've been, right? 

it hadn't been my fault...i had been driving perfectly safe. i drove on this road regularly, i knew what i was doing...

i hadn't gone through a red light, had i? was it my fault?

i didn't even know. i couldn't remember exactly. 

i couldn't remember...

fuck, no...i had to remember. think, simon! get your brain working again. you were driving to...to what? shit, fuck, i couldn't remember that either. 

why the fuck had i been driving? where was i going to? 

this wasn't good. i didn't even have my phone in my pocket...where the hell was my phone? 

i was panicking now. i didn't know where i had been going, and i couldn't find my phone. this wasn't good, at all.

"HELLO?" i shouted out, except it was more like a scream. 

"oh my god! there's someone in there!" i heard someone from outside scream. 

there were people here? why weren't they helping me out? 

"HELP!" i shouted again, hoping they'd help me out of here. i was started to feel light hearted, things around me weren't staying still. 

i knew from several tv programmes that this wasn't good. i started blinking rapidly, trying to train my brain to stay awake, to stay alert. but it wasn't working...i could feel myself starting to go. 

i didn't even know if i was going to wake up again. 

talia. 

who the fuck was talia? 

talia!

it was like an internal conflict with my brain...one half knew who talia was, and the other half had absolutely no idea...it was hurting my brain more and more. 

you were going to visit talia. 

TALIA! the name suddenly struck a resemblance, and i could picture her in my head. 

oh, god...talia. 

"hello? are you okay?" a woman's voice pulled me away from my thoughts. i had to squint when she pulled back a piece of metal that had been obscuring my vision. it was sunny outside. 

"my head is bleeding," i explain to her. 

"what? you're making no sense," she replied, looking concerned. 

i had told her exactly what was wrong?

"i said my head is bleeding! and my legs are stuck," i repeat. 

"you're making no sense...your words are jumbled, john! i think he's got a serious head injury!" she called out behind her. 

i was stressed now. what did she mean? 

i tuned into what she was saying, listening in. 

"he's not making any sense," she whispered to the guy she named john. "he said 'head my bleeding is', and then 'stuck my legs are.'"

"an ambulance is already on the way for the other driver...but i think we need to call another one for this man, i think he needs to get checked out," he spoke to her. 

"i'll call one," she told him, looking back at me whilst dialling a number on her phone. 

all the while my vision was getting worse and worse, and not before long all i could see was black.