Chapter Four

I shifted uneasily. I couldn't look up under his hard gaze. He was acting weird since he arrived. We were seated on the long dinning table and the worse thing was that he was directly in front of me.

Throughout the dinner, he kept looking at me time to time. I felt his heated gaze and it made me feel something I never felt before.

I wanted to ask what was his problem but couldn't find time to do so.

After the dinner and when all the guests were gone, I was coming inside the house carrying a sleeping Liliana. She felt asleep while I was carrying her.

"Oh! Let me put her to bed." Lorenzo said as he saw us coming inside and took her from me.

"You must be tired. Goodnight." He said and pecked my forehead. We couldn't hug since he was carrying Lia.

"Goodnight." I said. He went away.

I sighed and walked towards Papa's office. He still didn't tell me what the emergency was about. I was having a bad feeling about this.

My feet were hurting, so I removed my heels and held them while walking barefooted.

I sighed at the relief I felt.

I was walking while thinking what he was going to tell me, when suddenly, someone grabbed me from behind and pulled me towards a room.

I freaked out. But before I could go under my trauma, the person spoke. "Shush.... It's me."

I felt relief. I turned to look at him shocked. Why would he do that?

"What's wrong with you?" I spoke out.

He released his hold on my arm and said, "I don't know myself."

I don't understand what compromised him to act like that. It's his house. Why was he being secretive?

"Then?" I folded my army in front of my chest.

He gulped. Why? Don't know.

"Alessandro.... What do you want?" I asked not able to take his silence.

He looked into my eyes and I was surprised seeing his eyes darken. There was danger in them. I almost shivered.

"Why did you wear it?" He asked gritting his teeth.

What?!

I looked at him like he lost his mind.

I scoffed and said, " Why? Because I want to. It's beautiful. And why did you act like that?"

He closed his eyes as if controlling his anger. "Listen, cara don't wear this type of revealing clothes again." What the hell!

I grew mad at that. Who is he to dictate me?

"If that's what you wanted to say, then I don't want to continue this conversation." I said and left the room before he could stop me.

I walked faster.

When I reached where I was going to before, I stopped in front of the door and knocked.

"Come in." I opened the door and walked in.

"You came this late? You should be retiring to bed now, dear." Papa said.

I smiled at that. "You still haven't told me what the emergency was about and I was anxious. I just couldn't go to sleep with knowing it. "

He smiled and gestured me to sit down on the couch.

He stood up from his seat and sat down in front of me.

There was sadness in his eyes.

"Carla, you remember when you first became a part of the family, I was going through my cancer treatment?"

I nodded. I remembered when I started opening upto them. He was going through chemotherapy during that time. But why did he bring it up? He was okay now. Wasn't he?

I was confused.

"I wanted to tell you before I say to my sons. Only my wife knows it." I paid heed attention to it.

I was not so going to like it.

"I still haven't been fully recovered." He said.

I was shocked. I could not even speak. I never expected it.

"I'm sorry I lied to you guys but I had to do it for your sake. I am getting healthier but I haven't recovered fully."

"Why.... Why are you telling me this now?" I was getting emotional.

I fell tears rolled down. I could not handle it if I lose him too. I already lost a father. Not him too.

He held my eyes and spoke. "I'm sorry for what I'm going to tell you." He sounded so weak.

I was trying to be prepared for whatever he was going to say.

"Will you do what I ask of you?" Without thinking I nodded. They have done a lot for me. They gave me life. I was ready to do anything he ask me.

"I want you to find Alessandro his life partner."

I felt my whole world crushed down.

Looking at my reflection on the mirror, I saw my young self. The broken 17 years old.

I washed my face even though I had just showered. I wasn't functioning well. I was feeling lost again.

I could barely handle seeing Alessandro with any other girl and now, I had to find him a wife.

Papa's words played in my mind repeatedly.

"I don't want to give you this burden but I had no choice. He has been alone for a long time. He has no interest in love nor settling down.

If it goes on, I'm afraid he'll be alone throughout his life. He doesn't mingle with women. He only has his interest in business and the family. And we all know that he will do anything for you.

He only opens upto you. You became his sister the day he saved you. He was always there with you. In every step you took, he was there to hold you if you slipped. He was there for you.

Only you distracted him from his work.

And who else can choose his best wife better than you?

I'm not much worried about Lorenzo.

But Alessandro...... He not only doesn't have girlfriend but he's not even with any girl. He is the saint. He doesn't do flings nor he does one night stands.

He hasn't been with anyone for five years.
He only has his mind on work and that's what worries me the most.

He'll directly reject any arrange marriage.

And I'm telling you this because from tomorrow you'll be with him. You two will be together. I want you play match maker.

Please, Carla.

He's just like your brother."

Brother. Just the word makes me feel how wrong it is for us to be together.

His family were there for me. They had done a lot for me. And now, I have to be there for them.

Papa and Mama will be going to South Korea for his treatment. Lia will be with Lorenzo in Italy.

And I will be with Alessandro.

〽〽〽〽✳✳✳〽〽〽〽

Published on 21 Jan, 2021

NOT EDITED