SEVENTEEN - Papa Tunde

"I want to talk about what happened without mentioning how much it hurt

"I want to talk about what happened without mentioning how much it hurt. There has to be a way. To care for the wounds without reopening them."

- If There's A Way Out I'll Take It,
by Lora Mathis

The sound of the door opening Rousseau's awoke a startled Sirena who, instinctively, broke half of the closest empty bottle and held it up as a weapon against whoever it was.

Surprisingly, it was none other than Marcel Gerard.

"Oh, it's you." Her slurred words almost made him chuckle as she fell back into her chair, her palms covering her eyes with her elbows placed on the counter of the bar.

It had been a few days since the failed Harvest ritual, and they hadn't seen each other ever since. Both looked like shit, honestly. However, Marcel wondered why exactly Davina's death had affected the woman so badly.

"Is Sophie here?" The vampire asking, choosing a stool two seats away from her.

"Nope. Why?" She lazily raised an eyebrow at him.

It was more than clear that she was completely drunk, even at such an early hour, her eyes were bloodshot and her hair was messy.

"There's been some witch problem. Thought she might know what's going on."

A bottle of bourbon was pushed over the counter towards him, to which he frowned in confusion.

"You look like you need it." Sirena shrugged before pouring herself a shot and downing it in a few seconds.

"Why are you drinking so early?" Marcel asked trying to sound casual.

Truth was, he didn't know much about this Sirena girl. And he didn't like not knowing. Being in charge of the city for so long had taught him to always know everyone surrounding him to clearly see who the enemies and allies were.

But, with her, he was lost.

"Why are you drinking?" She threw the question right back at him, chuckling to herself.

"Davina." Was his only answer before taking a long gulp of the alcohol straight from the bottle.

"Well, I'm trying to suppress some memories." Sirena sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose. "They always choose the young and naive for their plans don't they?" It seemed likes she had started to talk to herself out loud with her eyes glued to the shelves of liquor in front of them. "And then they keep us in the shadows, no clue of what things cost 'til it's too late."

None spoke a word after that, each processing their thoughts in silence with the drinks as a companion.

"How did you get in?" Marcel finally asked again, not wanting to have the picture of Davina's dead body as s mental image for too long.