TWENTY THREE - Disappointment

"If only my heart were as cold as I pretend it is, maybe I could get over this

"If only my heart were as cold as I pretend it is, maybe I could get over this."

- Jessica Katoff

"I guess some things never change."

Eve's comment earned her a giggle from the mermaid. They were both on the group of the pack that had volunteered to cook for dinner later on. It was no easy feat, considering how much one werewolf could consume, let alone how much a pack of almost 50 wolves could.

So, as Sirena mixed the gumbo and tried to put just the right amount of spice, she entertained herself along with Eve by watching how the rest were in a circle outside the cabin, cheering at two young men who fought to try to elevate ranks, mixed with the simple feeling off blowing off some steam.

Her eyes caught the sight of Hayley and Jackson standing side by side, and a knot formed in the pit of her stomach.
Sirena knew that Jackson and Hayley were meant to be together, it was in their blood, because they were both Alphas, they would feel the need to join their packs.

But, she was also well aware of the feelings Hayley held for Elijah, which made things oh-so-complicated.

A small smile graced her lips when she saw the way their eyes sparkled when looking at each other, not at all bothered or aware of how close they were standing together.

However, the mermaid huffed and rolled her eyes when Oliver took off his jacket to fight the winner of the last round in the middle of the circle.

Everyone was aware of the way she and the blond man hated each other's guys, how they argued over the smallest of things and were at each other's throats in a matter of minutes. But, she knew that they were both members of the pack, and she would risk her life for him if needed, because that is what Jackson had instilled in her ever since he took her in.

Once everyone was in the big "dinning cabin", which had been built with the sole purpose of having enough space in the tables for every member of the pack, Sirena kept herself near Hayley and Jackson, giving her brother space to bond with her friend.

A frown appeared on her face when she saw Oliver approach them.

"Then, all we gotta do is forget that she spent half her life with humans, and the other half with vampires." She heard the blond man comment bitterly at the pair as she made her way towards them.

"Could you shut the fuck up, Ollie? You already waste enough oxygen as it is." Sirena spat with her arms crossed over her chest, glaring at him no matter how shorter in stature she was.

"It's okay. If the last one to leave the lair has something to say, he should say it." Hayley showed Oliver a sickly sweet grin that had Jackson and Sirena chuckling proudly.