10 | nicknames

"Just because you're dead inside doesn't mean it's too late to come alive

"Just because you're dead inside doesn't mean it's too late to come alive."

Ashlee Edens

          THE HEAVY BOX THE BRUNETTE carried in her arms almost fell to the floor when she tripped by the doorway.

     "Oh, are you okay? Do you need any more help?"

     "No, thanks. I'm fine, Camille. Just a bit clumsy." Sirena shrugged while the blonde chuckled.

     She left the box on the ground and tried to relax her sore shoulders while Camille looked around the small apartment one last time. It had taken less than an hour to move some of Sirena's stuff to this small place in the Quarter. But, since the Mikaelsons were moving back to the compound with Hayley, and Sirena discovered living with them wouldn't be the same with all the vampires roaming around, renting this placed seemed like the best option.

     "Thank you so much for agreeing to this on such a short notice."

     "Oh, no. Thank you, my...uh, job has moved here to the Quarter and it was amazing to actually find someone moving out so quickly." The mermaid smiled a bit to herself to make her excuse more believable.

     "I just ... I–I need to get away from this town, too many bad memories." The blonde closed her eyes and shook her head to dismiss the dark thoughts trying to take over her head. "Mind me asking what your work is?"

     Just as she was about to answer, Sirena's phone began to ring loudly. "A nanny, apparently." The mermaid sighed to herself before answering. "Hey, Hayley."

     The two of them still hadn't had a face–to–face conversation since Elijah was bitten by Klaus at the bayou. Sirena was scared Hayley would forbid her from ever seeing each other again.

     "Sirena, listen, I don't have much time. I'm still really pissed about you leaving me and Elijah in the bayou, but you're gonna help me with this." Despite the werewolf's whispery voice on the other side of the line, her threats still felt as dangerous as usual. "Klaus ordered for the vampires to kill all the werewolves in the bayou–"

     "HE WHAT?" Her shout startled Camille a bit, to which she offered a short apologetic shrug.

     "And you're gonna help me try to save them. Right now, I'm trapped in the compound, but the vampires are gonna leave in raids at any minute." Hayley's pride was deeply hurt by having to be the first to establish contact after how they left things, but she didn't want her people being slaughtered.

     "I'm on my way." She hung up and turned towards an awaiting Cami. "Look, I'm so sorry, but there's been an emergency and I need to run." She explained while looking frantically for her small go–to black leathered back pack.