TWENTY FIVE - Fête de Bénédictions

"I look at her and light goes all through me

"I look at her and light goes all through me."

- Charles Bukowski

After a tiring and heavy trip, the last thing Sirena had expected was to find entire packs of wolves arriving at the bayou. The werewolves threw confused glances her way when seeing how she didn't belong to any of the other packs. Maybe the strong scent of salt from the sea water was another factor of becoming the centre of attention as she made her way towards the main cabin. Her clothes were dry but her hair was dripping water into the shoulders of her jean jacket.

"What is going on?" Sirena asked as she finally arrived by Hayley and Eve's side by the doorstep, turning around slightly to look at the gathering of the werewolves, all of them talking in low tones with each other, and adjusting the strap of the heavy bag she carried on her shoulder.

"I'd also like to know who are all these people." Hayley spoke, glancing at Eve. "They are sitting there acting all weird ad haunting."

Unlike the two confused brunettes, the blonde human had a massive grin on her face, her face beaming as she stared at the other werewolves in amazement.

"They have come from all over. From all packs."

"Why?" Sirena questioned aloud, using her sleeve to get rid of some drops of water accumulating in her forehead.

"To see a baby that isn't even born yet?" Hayley raised an eyebrow, holding on a little tighter to her coffee mug.

"Forget the baby." Oliver appeared from inside the wooden cabin, closing the door behind him and flashing the two brunettes a fake smile. "These freaks are here to see you. Y'know, given the place your parents had in the packs' hierarchy, maybe they think you're gonna be the long lost werewolf messiah or something."

"Great. No pressure or anything." Sarcasm dripped from the pregnant woman's lips, trying hard not to let her anxious thoughts take over.

"I really didn't miss seeing your face." Sirena commented, a frown that was reserved only for the blond man who annoyed her for apparently no reason.

"The feeling is mutual." Oliver countered, smirking at how Eve rolled her eyes and Sirena pressed her lips on a thin line.

Just as the mermaid was going to spit another comment about her dislike towards him, he raised his index finger when his phone started ringing, going a few steps away from the group, looking for some privacy.

"Where have you been? We had no news from you all week." Hayley tried to hide her worry while staring at her empty mug, but the mermaid could tell.

"Here and there, nothing to worry about." Sirena shrugged, not used to being questioned about her whereabouts. "I should probably take a shower and get rid of this smell."