Chapter 15

Draco stiffened as the Dark Lord walked behind him, demanding his father to give up his wand. He tried not to show his fear like his father did, but he knew that sweat was breaking out on his face.

Tonight was the night they'd be moving Potter, and the night that they as Death Eaters would ambush him. He had only found out this night, however, that they were going to do this. Which is why he had immediately warned Hermione.

Not like there was much she could do. After all, the best she could do was subtly hint at the others to perhaps rethink their plan, or at least be more safe. If she didn't do it subtly enough, she'd have to explain how she knew that, and he knew that she wanted to avoid that at all cost. At least, that's what was currently prominent on her mind.

It added slightly to his nerves, though. It was difficult enough already to hide his fear for the Dark Lord when he was this close, let alone when he was distracted by hearing a constant nagging voice in his mind. Well, he may have chosen to listen to that voluntarily, though. He did have the possibility to tune her out, after all.

But he needed to know when her mind would go all the wrong places again like it had a tendency to do, so he could pull her back again. Tonight was not the night for her to get distracted by her own wandering mind. It could lead to the worst case scenario, and even though he wasn't going to be physically present there, he didn't want to watch it unfold mentally either.

Draco's family had been considered a disgrace ever since his father had been sent away to Azkaban, and thus they were ordered to stay at the Malfoy Manor and let the others take care of it. Well, Draco didn't really mind. Not because he didn't want to attack Potter, in contrary, actually. He could care less about his safety. But he knew about their plan, and he knew that Hermione would soon turn into Potter, and he couldn't risk hurting her by accident.

Granger, you're going to be just fine. Her mind was going all places again, like the possible outcome of accidentally slipping their connection and having everyone turn against her in the worst moment.

You don't know that, Draco. Do you even realize how many things can go wrong tonight? Draco scoffed lightly under his breath, glad that the Dark Lord had moved back to the front. Who does she think he was? Some dumb troll like Weasley? Of course I do. But so do you, and all you now have to do is make sure that you don't do those things. You manage that, and you'll be just fine.

But that's the problem. I don't know if I can do that. Draco got up when the Dark Lord dismissed the Malfoy family, allowing the rest to go over their plans. Heading for the only place he knew he would get some privacy, he went up to his bedroom. Honestly, Granger. After all those years you now begin to doubt yourself over such a tiny thing?

Sinking himself into the chair near the window, he adjusted his suit as he focused on her mind. It only took a second until he could clearly see what she was seeing, and he watched as her gaze was flickering back and forth between the many redheads in front of what he assumed was Potter's house. When it became obvious that she wasn't going to answer, he decided to press on. You know, you could just shrug it off as being a concerned friend. Just tell them you're worried about Potter's safety, and that you think the plan is flawed. He could hear his own disgust when he mentioned Potter's safety, but hey, if it worked to soothe her, then he would just need to get over it.. for tonight.

Yeah, I suppose you're right. Draco smirked, shaking his head lightly. Of course I am, Granger. But she remained silent, and he watched as her gaze lowered, revealing a set of hands nervously fidgeting her clothes.

Draco had to refrain himself from throwing a bunch of rude comments as the door finally opened and Potter was revealed. It was even worse when she finally got inside and the Weasley boy got all snuggled up and close to Hermione.