Chapter 20

Hermione had dreaded the following morning where she had to face Harry again. What if he had changed his mind and decided to kick her out and continue this journey on his own? Having taken one last encouraging breath in, she had gotten out of her bed to meet up with Harry at the table.

He hadn't as so much given her a sideways glance, and not even had he uttered a word as they packed the tent and left for another place. This had gone on for days, until he had to break the silence when he thought of a place where the sword might be. The one they had been talking about right before the fight between Ron and Harry, and right before she had revealed her secret.

After some brainstorming they had agreed to go to Godric's Hollow, and Hermione had watched in surprise as the Christmas trees were already decorated. This made Hermione wonder how it happened that they skipped a stage. Remembering fully well that at the fifth stage they would recall memories, she wondered what had caused it to be delayed.

Then again, it might have been because of the situation they were in. Neither had much time to reminisce on the past – after all, they were too busy surviving in the present and fighting for a future to live in. Seeing that as a reasonable answer as to why it might have been delayed, she took satisfaction in that until she could take a moment to think about what she had read about it in the book.

Godric's Hollow had been somewhat of an eerie experience, especially when they came across Bathlida. The following events had all happened so fast, and before she knew it they had barely escaped an attack by Voldemort by the use of a snake, and were breathlessly standing in a new location in the forest.

Harry offered to take watch, and Hermione apologetically handed him her wand – his was broken when she cast a Blasting Spell – and headed back inside. Taking her seat at the table in the tent, she let herself think back to last year and what she read in the book about their connection. After straining her mind for a while, she finally remembered the page.

CHAPTER 11: STAGE FIVE

This one might be the trickiest one of all, and with a bit of bad luck, it'll delay your stages the longer it gets unnoticed. Memories are a delicate thing in our minds – thoughts overpowering most of them, and only when we wish to reminisce, they will appear.

It's for that reason that there exists a difficulty to morph into this stage. The previous ones have almost all been coming as if they had been scheduled, but this stage will need to be triggered. It's easily done so – take a good moment to think about a strong memory in your childhood, and you'll have done the trick!

But what often happens is that either people don't have strong enough memories that can trigger it, or they simply forget to do this. Sometimes it can even take years until this stage is entered. All that depends on the victims that have been bound by this spell.

When you have come to the realization that part of the stage has been missing, and you've tried your hardest to think about a strong memory, you'll be lucky when you find a good one. Whether you did or not, will be shown immediately.

If it so happens you found a good one that can trigger it, you'll immediately get another memory from the other one that has been strong enough as well. The other might not even be aware that they're giving out this memory, for as with every thought that is shared, this most of the times happens unaware. The memory you've thought of, will also be given to the other.

More of the chapter she couldn't remember as clear, and what she could remember didn't deem as important enough to use. And so she sat herself comfortably on the wooden bench – or well, as comfortable as she could – and closed her eyes to roam around her mind in the search for a memory that could trigger the next stage.