Chapter 21

Hermione tried to fight her tired eyes as she strained to read the letters on the page. Harry was taking watch outside at the moment, and in an hour they had agreed to both sleep so they could leave the place early in the morning. In the meantime she was just reading more into the book that she had gotten from Dumbledore in his will, trying to look for any clues. So far she hadn't found anything except for a peculiar symbol.

"Hermione!" Jolting out of her upcoming slumber, she closed the book and hurried outside. "Harry? Is everything okay?" It was difficult to see in the darkness, and the sudden wave of cold got her shivering like crazy. Harry came in sight, and wondering if her eyes were playing tricks with her or not, she could swear that another individual was right behind him.

As Harry and the shadow behind him came closer to the tent, she was soon able to distinguish the red locks on the individual's head. Ron had returned, and Hermione wasn't sure if she should feel happy or nervous. Surely he hadn't forgotten about their fight before he left.

Swallowing, she retreated back into the tent and sat on the wooden bench. Left quite speechless, she decided to just let it come over her and see how things go. "It's okay, Hermione. I explained everything I know to him in the woods." Harry said, having followed her inside quite soon afterwards.

"He saved my life, really." Harry went on, and from behind came Ron, a hesitant smile on his face. With that Harry explained everything that happened in the woods and the silver doe he had followed, only to end up finding the Sword of Gryffindor. Hermione was exhilarated to hear the good news, although she was still a bit awkward whenever catching Ron's eye.

At last Harry stopped talking, and Ron awkwardly cleared his throat before he began to speak. "Look, Hermione, I'm sorry about before. I know I shouldn't have doubted you. Of course you wouldn't stab us in the back." His voice came out a bit muffled, clearly not the best at apologizing, but she heard him just fine nonetheless.

Hermione was about to smile, tell him it was okay, but then he opened his mouth again. "However, you did have it coming, didn't you?" Harry released a deep sigh, trying to intervene but Ron brushed him off. "No, I mean it. I'm not mad, not anymore. But can you really blame me for lashing out on you? From what I've understood you're still friends with the git."

"If you've come back to start another fight, I suggest you leave." Hermione said, her glare hardening as she got up, ready to walk away. "No, wait." Ron sighed, scratching the back of his head as he tried to think of what to say. "I didn't come back to fight with you, but I did want it said."

Hermione huffed, folding her arms. "I think I already knew your opinion, Ron. Or did you perhaps want to rub it in once more?" She knew she was beginning to agitate him, but she really did want to know his motive for bringing it up again. "Look, all I'm trying to say is that things are okay between us now. Just.. don't ever mention his name when I'm around and we'll be good, okay? Because unlike you, I still don't forgive the git for anything." Pursing her lips, she was about to argue, but decided against it.

It was a miracle that she still had her two best friends, really, and they really couldn't afford to fall apart again. Having been on her own with Harry already made it much more difficult to survive, so it was important that they kept Ron by their side. Besides, she wanted her best friend back.

And here I was, hoping to never have to see the Weasel again. Hermione frowned, wondering why the usual teasing tone wasn't present in his voice. Can't you just be happy for me that I got my friends back? The boys suggested to get some good night's rest, and so they all went to their respective bunks.

Oh, I'm delighted, Granger. Absolutely thrilled to see the Golden Trio reunited. Draco's voice was bitter, the old stinging tone to it from his earlier years. Draco, what's wrong? Hermione focused her mind on his view, like she always did when he was acting strange. It hadn't happened a lot anymore lately, but in cases like this she really wanted to know.