Chapter 26

Hermione and Ron got up as soon as they heard footsteps behind them. To her relief she saw Harry coming down the stairs, and immediately asked where he had been, but he ignored her and told her he would be going to the forest.

Ron began to protest, but Harry just kept on going, so Hermione decided to ask what it was that he discovered. There he began to explain what Hermione had thought about before as well, why he was able to hear the Horcruxes and talk to snakes; a part of Voldemort was inside him, and to end this war, Harry would have to die.

Hermione felt the tears coming up once more, and she immediately took him into a hug. Reluctantly she let him go, and watched sorrowfully as her best friend walked down the many stairs, on his way to greet death.

Sharing a glance with Ron, she wrapped her arms around him as well, hugging him tightly and crying for the loss of their best friend. Somewhere deep inside she had always known it was a peculiar situation, and more often than not had she contemplated the possibility that it might have been true, but never in a billion years would she be ready to watch her best friend willingly go into the forest to end his life and sacrifice it to save all the others.

Well, that was if they at least managed to kill the snake. If the snake would be dead, then everything would be over. Breaking the hug, Hermione proposed to go back down to the Great Hall, in the hopes to get some distraction and to be with family and friends.

And so down they went, heading for the Great Hall and taking place on the benches with Ron's family. Why did Potter leave? Hermione blinked away fresh tears that were threatening to fall, and turned her head to the side, avoiding eye contact with all Weasleys. I think you know the answer to that.

Draco remained silent, and she figured he was spending some time to give it a thought. He's one of the Horcruxes? Hermione nodded, but then realized he couldn't see her. Yes, unintentionally he is. Another moment of silence, and when he spoke again he sounded sincerely sympathetic. I'm sorry to hear that.

Even though she knew he was only sorry for her, and not because Harry was currently facing his death, she did appreciate the comment. Where are you, actually? Hermione aimlessly looked around, although she doubted that he would be much out in the open. Ground floor. Hermione's brows furrowed together, not recalling seeing him there. I didn't see you there before.

That's because you were too focused on the ground. His voice lacked his usual teasing, just like it lacked any kind of emotion. Hermione sighed, throwing a quick look at the Weasleys, satisfied to see that they were all too emerged in their conversations to pay attention to her. Do you mind if I come?

Will Weasley join? Hermione threw a quick glance at Ron to see if he would notice if she'd leave, but was glad to see that he was busy talking to Bill, his back turned to her. No. Hermione tapped her fingers lightly to the table, hoping he wouldn't turn her down. Then sure.

Hopping off the bench with his approval, she made sure to quickly leave the Great Hall in the hopes that no one would bother coming after her. Then she went up the few stairs, making sure to now carefully pay attention to her surroundings. And indeed there he was, sitting to the far end on the stairs, a grim look on his face.

Silently she approached him, and sat herself down next to him without uttering a word. Hermione looked at him, his hair messy and sweaty, clinging to his forehead. His gaze was focused on the floor, and she could see the furrowing of his brows, an unreadable expression on his face.

"What will happen when Potter dies?" His voice was hoarse, and at last he turned to look at her. He was unmistakably tired, but only now was she able to read his expression; he was worried – not about Harry, but about his parents. That had to be it.