Chapter 32

Hogwarts Express. Hermione couldn't believe that it was already time to go back to school. And above all, she couldn't possibly believe that this would be the last time she'd ever take this train to start a new school year. That thought gave her a mixture of emotions that she willed to push aside, not quite ready yet to feel all of it until the end of the year.

Right now was a year for her to enjoy. One where she could finally study without interruptions, and also, it for once in her entire school career would be the first and only year where Harry wouldn't be tried to get killed. And yes, she might have to exchange that for a year of teasing from both Ginny and Draco, but hey, at least she didn't have to worry about her or her friends' lives.

"I knew you'd be here on time." A voice came from behind, and Hermione turned around to see Ginny coming to a halt in front of her, panting like crazy. "Naturally, we were late like usual." Ginny said with a laugh, and Hermione gave a chuckle herself. "Although, this time dad managed not to get in trouble with the Ministry. It's a miracle, honestly."

Hermione smiled, grabbing her luggage off the ground. "Come on, let's board up before all the compartments are taken." With that the two got on the train, squeezing their way through the many students who decided it was a good idea to stop in the middle of the small hallway.

A few younger students pointed to Hermione and said a few whispers to each other, but the only words she could make out were 'war' and 'Harry Potter.' She didn't need to hear any more to know what they were talking about. Figuring that overtime the whispers would stop, she'd just ignore it for now.

Finding an empty compartment at last, she breathed heavily as she lifted up her luggage with some struggle, placing it on the racks above their seats. Taking a seat next to the window, she scanned the crowd of people standing on the platform with her eyes. So far she hadn't seen the blond locks of her boyfriend yet, so she wondered whether he was already on board or still needing to get on.

Draco? Easiest way to find out – and prevent her from worrying like crazy – was to make good use of their connection. Yes? The steam began to cloud the air around them, signaling that the train was about to depart. Now she really hoped that he was already on it. Are you already on the train? I didn't see you.

Yes, I've been here for a while. Hermione let out a breath of relief, now lazily staring out of the window as the train slowly began to move, each individual waving their children and siblings goodbye slowly becoming more blurred.

Leaning her head against the glass, she stretched her legs out on the seat. Ginny was opposite her, and seeing as they were the only people in the compartment, they had it all to themselves. Hermione did have to admit it felt really strange being on the train all by herself, not sharing the space with her two best friends.

Yet, it was also relaxing in a way, starting a quiet ride to Hogwarts to mentally prepare themselves for another year. And in her case, her final year ever. Where are you actually? Hermione asked, groaning a bit as the hard glass was starting to hurt her head. Leaning forward, she took her jacket off and wrapped it into a messy pillow, then leaned back and placed it behind her head. Much better.

Seriously, Granger? Still haven't noticed me? I've been staring at you ever since you entered the bloody compartment. Sitting up straight in a rush, she quickly scanned the hallway and the compartments on the other side. It was difficult to look through the glass, because her own reflection was just in the way of where she was trying to look, but with strained eyes she could indeed see the blond locks hidden away in the back of a seat, and by the looks of it he seemed to be all alone.

With a slight shift in her seat to the left, she could now properly look into the glass without her own reflection being in the way, and she also had a much better look of Draco. Hermione smiled before she realized she was even doing it, but was glad to see his lips turn upwards into the slightest of a smile as well. Took you long enough. With a teasing smile grazing his lips he broke their eye contact, turning his head to the window as someone walked down the hallway.