Chapter 37

"Draco, I swear to Merlin that if you don't stop staring, I'm going to hex you out of this bloody library." Hermione hissed through gritted teeth as her head snapped to the boy besides her, who had his head lazily rested on his hand as he stared at her with a smirk. "But you're more interesting than Potions." Hermione snorted, rolling her eyes as she pushed his textbook under his nose. "I feel flattered, but I'm afraid I can't say the same."

Draco raised an eyebrow in feigned offence. "That hurts my feelings, Granger." He said, placing his other hand over his heart. Hermione shook her head in disapproval at his behaviour. "Come on, Draco, I don't have time for this. Exams are in just a few months and there's plenty to study!" Draco heaved a sigh, dramatically taking his head off his hand as he focused his eyes on the textbook. "Exactly, we still have a couple of months. Time enough to study."

Aggravated, Hermione forgot all about her Potions textbook for a second as she was determined to make him understand the importance of education. Merlin's sake, it was almost as if she was arguing with Harry and Ron about studying all over again. "I did not go back to school to fail my exams. And I doubt you did the same. So, if I were you, I'd be smart and start studying. You'll thank yourself – and me – later for it." Draco rolled his eyes, but really focused on his textbook now nonetheless, muttering a "Whatever, Granger" under his breath.

Pleased with herself, she focused back on her own studies as well and enjoyed being able to study in peace for as long as that would last.

"You're making an awful lot of noise." Hermione noted, a hint of annoyance lacing her voice as she heard the clicking of his shoes echoing off the castle walls. Perhaps today wasn't really her day – she blamed the increasing stress – but everything seemed to tick her off. Draco, however, found it all the more amusing the more irritated she'd become. Which aggravated her even further. Honestly, it was a never ending cycle with those two.

"Could say the same about you yesterday." Hermione snapped her head to the right, watching as Draco smirked smugly at her, earning him a hard smack against his arm as she knew what he was referring to. "Merlin, Granger, no need to hit me. I'm simply stating the truth." He hissed, rubbing the sore spot, but his smirk didn't waver.

Highly embarrassed and still irritated from everything before, she sped up her walk as she made her familiar way down the castle. "You know, usually girls run towards me, not away from me." His voice called behind her.

Taking a good few deep breaths in and out, she willed herself to calm down. Come on, Hermione, he's only doing this to get a reaction out of you. Be the better one. She repeated to herself in a mantra. Oh yes, she definitely did not miss the teasing side of him. Although, she did have to admit that it was way better to hear positive teasing instead of actual bullying. "Really? Maybe they run towards you so they can punch you in the face."

"Speaking of that, perhaps I should do the same. It's been a while." Hermione said, shooting a victorious smile over her shoulder as she saw his smirk fell and a scowl appear. "Two can play a game, Mal-" But she did not get to finish that sentence as her bum came in contact with the hard ground below her, making her hiss out in pain. Of course she had to be the one to fall right on her ass in front of the Entrance Hall.

Laughter was heard from a couple of students in the distance who had been lucky enough to see it happen from the Great Hall, and even Draco couldn't seem to hold it in as he stared down at her. He brought his hands to his knees as he supported himself, letting out a hearty laugh the more she glared.

"It's not funny, that actually hurt!" Draco's shoulders still shook with laughter as he slowly approached her, extending a hand to help her up. For a moment she considered whacking his hand away, but knew she had to get up somehow, and so she reluctantly accepted his help. Draco let out a good few chuckles, then slowly calmed himself down.