Chapter 27: Upper Moon Six

Previously:

Of course he agreed, he would never spill someone's secret like that. Although he advised the man to reveal the truth to others soon... Not knowing that his naive mind comperehended the situation wrong as well. After filling Hakumei in on the mission details, he left the room as not to slack on in his duties.

"Goodbye, Ibara-san!" he waved at his friend, happy that he had someone to lean on here.

"Goodbye... Sumiko-chan."

"Ibara-san!" sounded a shout behind her.

If she didn't know the voice so well, she would have thought 'who could need anything at this time of night?', alas, It was obviously Tanjiro. She turned back to him, not being able to hold back the smile tugging on her lips when the boy came into view. He looked so cute, dressed up as a girl, but she still liked him better as he normally was. After all the time she has spent with the Demon Slayers, she has come to think of the redhead as some sort of a younger sibling. He was so innocent and naive but also strong and reliable.

"What do you need, Sumiko-chan?" she asked gently.

"The- The air here..." he trailed of uneasily.

Could he have smelled a demon perhaps? Impossible, she would have noticed it as well... right? Still, it would be better to listen to what he had to say.

"Whatever could be wrong with it?" the (H/C) haired woman questioned.

"It started smelling... so impure right as the night fell." he mumbled, "Do you know why?"

Oh hell to the no, she would definitely not tell this precious child about what was going on here! It was the Red light district, with the dark came activities of lust and greed, laced in a thick curtain of sin. He was too pure to understand. Still, he probably was aware of what was actually the work of most of the girls around here... she wouldn't go into detail. She looked back at him kindly and pat his head.

"That happens around here, it isn't out of the ordinary. There is nothing to worry about." she smiled, hoping he would drop it.

And thankfully he did, thanking her and rushing away to do some more work. Damn, he was probably a better woman than she was. She promised herself to clear up the misunderstanding about her identity with him after all of this was over. Sure, he might blame her but she couldn't lead him on any longer, he deserved better than that. To be honest... all of her friends did. She felt bad about making him keep a secret that was not even the truth. She had to reveal herself eventually. With a heavy sigh she walked off, trying to stay hidden from the prying male eyes hiding behind every corner. She would never let those pigs have her body, she had to find somewhere to stay the night alone.

***

It was the morning of the next day. She heard the familiar footsteps of Tanjiro leaving the house and so she decided to follow him. She hid and listened in on his conversation with Inosuke. He was just telling him about a demon at his place, of course she knew of it. But she didn't dare make her move yet, wanting to find her alone. After all... it was the Warabihime-oiran - a very popular lady. She couldn't just up and kill her, the public would be devastated. Not to mention that the Upper Moon would probably kill many of them while fighting her.

The boys were still conversing when Uzui popped up next to them on the roof. She slowed down her breathing, afraid he might hear her... but the next words he said made her let out a small gasp.

"Zenitsu's not coming."

Her eyes went wide. She knew what those words meant but that couldn't be true! There was no way the demon managed to take him out so easily, so sneakily, there was NO WAY! They didn't have the best of relationships, off from a rocky start when he attacked her but she still cared for the boy. Maybe it was just because he was a friend of Tanjiro's but that didn't matter.