Chapter 16: Family bonds

Previously:

How come she didn't mind the blood dripping from his beautiful blue sword the same way it did from her sinful steely one? Why was she just so happy to see that he was still alive and well, maybe even happy to meet him? And lastly, just what was Tomioka Giyuu doing here?

Blood, she smelled blood. And it was fresh, it left the wound just now! It was time to stop being a coward, she had to get there and fast. Faster than before, she almost didn't make it to the boar boy. Faster, faster, FASTER!!

***

"NEZUKO!!" screamed Tanjiro when the strings dug into his sister's small body.

She jumped in front of him, protected him... But at what cost? Now she was bleeding all over, would she even heal?

"Nezuko, you protected your onii-chan... I am so sorry..." he cried to her while laying her on the ground.

"S-Siblings?" sounded the shaky voice of the demon boy he was fighting just moments before.

"Yeah, so what!?" Tanjiro screamed at him angrily.

***

So these were the true family bonds. The little sister that protected her brother at the cost of her own body, the big brother that stayed with her even after she became a demon... They weren't fake like so many families he has seen, they were real, oh so real... Those bonds... he wanted them.

"Those genuine bonds.. I want them!"

"Wait, NO! I am your big sister, don't abandon your big sister!!" screamed his demon 'sister' desperately.

But she wasn't good enough, nothing was better than the sight before his eyes. She was just a fake, it was playing pretend. She even made a mistake on that same day, how could she be better than this?

"SHUT UP!" he screamed and cut her head off with his strings.

She wasn't worth wasting his time. So annoying... She couldn't even do her job right.

"Wait, let me recover, I'll do anything!" she whimpered.

"Then go kill off the other ones roaming the mountain." he shot at her, "I might even forgive you for that accident a while ago if you do it."

"I understand... I'll kill them." she picked her head up and ran into the forest.

Now it was time to get to the business: "Boy, let's have a talk."

And so Rui began explaining his feelings to the young demon slayer. How he was so moved by their bond, how he couldn't even describe the feeling it gave him. Sadly, he would have to kill them. But there was one way to avoid it, surely the boy would jump at the oppurtunity. His sword was broken and he was wounded... he had to accept.

"Give me your sister... and I'll spare your life. I'll make your sister my own, starting today."

***

Did Tanjiro even hear him right? Nezuko wouldn't be the demon's little sister, she was no object! She had emotions of her own, he couldn't force her into something like that! And now he was talking about a bond of fear... unacceptatable!

"Poisoning your family with fear is no bond you speak of! If you don't correct that misunderstanding, you will never get your hands on what you want!!!" he screamed, disgusted by the child's view of world.

"Don't raise your voice, it makes my head hurt..."

"I won't hand Nezuko over!"

"Then I'll just have to kill you and take her myself."