Chapter 2: Her story

Previously:

"My name is Kentaro, I am the blacksmith of this village. I have never seen the two of you here before so I assume you must be travelers. As such, I am sure you cannot comprehend what you have just seen."

Both Giyuu and Shinobu nodded, still shaken up from the whole ordeal. Kentaro gazed at them sadly and continued.

"There is a legend in this small town. A legend... of a witch"

Once upon a time, hundreds of years ago, there was a blacksmith in this village. His name was Riku and he was loved by everyone. He could forge the strongest of swords, tools that never seemed to break, some even believed that we was capable of making a demon slaying katana. Riku had it all, the love of his neighbours, a good job, a beautiful wife and an even more beautiful daughter. The young girl's name was Kii.

Kii was the prettiest girl anyone in the village has ever seen. She had a small waist and slender body, her long burgundy hair was always put into intricate hairstyles and her deep red eyes held the secrets of the world. But her charm wasn't only in her beauty, no. It was her kindness and skill in smithery and medicine that really drew people in. She was willing to help anyone, wouldn't ask for anything return and saved the lives of many.

The hardworking girl always went out into the forest to collect herbs for her medicine, not minding the danger as long as she could save another person. She was called an angel amongst the villagers.

But while most just loved her with all their hearts, some people couldn't help but be jealous of her. If she was closeby, no one would even spare the other girls a glance. The majority didn't mind it but there were some who really hated Kii for being as perfect as she was.

One day, when she was only 14 years old, Kii came running home with a peculiar flower in her hand.

"Mommy! I found the prettiest flower of the forest, look!" she shouted in excitement and shoved the pland into her mother's face.

The woman has never seen anything like it. It resembled a spider lily but it lacked the signature blood red color. Instead it's petals were of cold and steely blue. She smiled widely at her daughter, picked up the flower from her outstretched hand and put it behing her ear. When she was done, she stepped back and admired her work. She walked Kii to a mirror so she could take a look at herself.

"You should wear it like that! It's beautiful and unique, just like you."

And so the girl started to wear it in her hair. Her mother died a few weeks after that day so she wore it to remember her. Soon it became a signature thing for her and she was never seen without it. Years passed and she was getting better at healing people everyday. No matter if they were sick or injured, she would always nurse them back to health. She had many suitors but rejected every single one of them, saying that she was too young for love and it would distract her from her work as a doctor.

But there was another girl. One who wanted to get married and be loved by someone. Yet no one ever looked at her. She wasn't pretty like Kii or even any other girl in the village. Everytime she'd see a boy propose to Kii, her eyes would get clouded with envy. She'd sit by her house in front of the river each day and wonder just how she could kick Kii off of her pedestal.

And one day... she found it.

It started with her noticing the blue flower in her hair. It has been years since the blacksmith's daughter found it, yet it still looked as if she picked it yesterday - it never wilted. Then the fact that she could heal anyone, even if others said there was no hope for them. There was only one possible explanation for all of this.