Chapter 3: Wisteria trees

Previously:

"Hey, mommy~? Can I sing that song for him? Please~?" he pleaded her.

She looked Douma, unsure if he was okay with it, but when he nodded with a bright smile, she relaxed and winked at her son.

"I'm sure he'll find your singing lovely." she whispered to him.

And so Shin started singing. He started singing the Song of a Witch.

Douma was listening intently to every word of the song, he didn't want to miss a single detail.

"An ugly girl from by the bridge

To destroy what she couldn't reach

Everyday she'd go and preach...

That the blacksmith's daughter was a witch."

Shin started and the song's sad melody reached the demon's ears. He didn't understand why it was in such a sad tune. Shouldn't it be angry if there was a witch destroying people's lives?

"The blacksmith's daughter's beautiful

No boy that hates her is in town

She makes the world more colorful

No boy would want to see her frown."

What a strange coincidence. A woman loved by everyone turned out to be a monster. It somehow reminded the Upper Moon Two of his own situation. Everyone worshipped him thanks to his unique eyes. And now he is a man-eating demon, still decieving everyone around him, eating them in secret and no one know a thing. Maybe I could get along with this... 'Witch'. he thought.

"A pretty face, big shiny eyes

People believe she never lies

And only she wears through the year

Blue spider lily by her ear."

There it was, the verse he's heard the boy sing from behind the door. He really hoped the song wold say where she found that flower... But if it didn't, he could always go and check the mountain where she's supposed to live. Maybe she was still there, hiding from the world along with her secrets.

"She was so kind and helped all others

Things no one's ever thanked her for

She was a beauty, child of wonders

Saving the people on death's door."

Oh yes, they definitely were similar. Two demons saving people and acting all nice just to earn their favor... and betray them in the end. He really hoped he could meet her.

"A miracle healer this girl was

But became unloved very soon

Dissed by the people she held close

No one to talk to but the moon."

Was it just a rhyme or could she really talk only to the moon? Why not the sun? Maybe this girl really was a demon! But then, why would she hide the blue spider lily from her lord and master..?

"She only had he father's love

He taught her smithing, taught her life

Her heart was broken, split in half