Chapter 4: A deadly mountain

The first morning rays hit the face of a sleeping man lying in his bed. Seconds later, a loud crash of his door being forcefully opened disturbed his peace. He blinked a couple of times and huffed at the high pitched voice that echoed in his ears.

"Rise and shine, Tomioka-san~"

"Kocho..."

"The sun is up, we have a witch to meet~!" Shinobu sang.

She knew she woke him up and it brought her great joy to see him so grumpy in the morning. Now she definitely didn't regret waking up early for this.

"Meet me down for breakfeast~" she added and then left his room.

With a heavy sigh he lifted himself up from the bed and ran a hand through his messy hair. Oh, how he hated being woken up early. He gathered his belongings, freshend up and pulled his hair into a low ponytail. After getting dressed he headed down the stairs to meet his companion.

At first they were eating quietly but then Shinobu spoke up. They still haven't discussed events of the previous night and she wanted to know what his opinion was.

"Nee, Tomioka-san?"

He looked at her to show he was listening and then continued eating.

"What do you think about that... legend? You think that Kii became a demon?"

"I don't know, maybe. After all, there is a chance she really was at that graveyard after Riku's death..."

"But why would a demon help the people in the first place? From that story it didn't seem that anyone dissapeared from that village so she wasn't eating them." the girl ponedered.

"That's why there might be a different explanation."

"Oh, what explanation?"

"I don't know, just different."

"Why, thank you for your insight..." deadpanned the female hashira.

"But I meant what I said back in that house. That those other girls might have wanted to die." added Giyuu.

"But it is still a murder, Tomioka-san. Are you implying the demon might be a good one?"

"No, I'm implying that there might be no demon."

"But if there is?"

"We are gonna kill it, what else would we do, Kocho?" he said coldly.

She nodded. Maybe she expected the stoic hashira to show some mercy for a demon that helped people but it was impossible after all. She wouldn't do it either. A demon is a demon, they always have an ulterior motive. After finishing their meals they walked out of the inn in the direction of the Witch mountain. As they were passing by the place where Inko was drowned the previous night, they spotted a young girl sitting next to her grave.

She was siniging a sad sounding song.

"-witch.

One day her father found a spider lily by her bed

Half remained blue, half painted red

There was a body, but no head

He screamed in horror...

Now another blacksmith's daughter's dead" she finished.

That had to be the song Kentaro told them about. How sad, only because of it, many innocent girls had to die.