Chapter 8: Old friends

Previously:

But maybe they could still contact him and the hashira on time before they pronounce them dead or missing. He quickly called down his crow and told him a message to deliver. Now they only had to hope it would arrive at the Ubuyashiki estate on time.

And even if both the demon slayers had hope of the bird getting there on time, (Y/N) had a strong feeling it wouldn't.

"They have been away for way too long, Oyakata-sama~"

"I agree with Kanroji, it's weird that they haven't reported back here yet."

"I think they died!"

"...That cloud is weird..."

"Don't say that Rengoku-san~! We cannot throw away our hope just yet."

"Now now, my dear children. We shouldn't assume just yet but maybe one of you should go and look for them. I am quite worried as well, they are my precious children too after all."

Everyone shut their mouths to look at the man standing in the shade of the roof. He had a gentle smile on his face and his blind eyes were looking into the distance. That man was Kagaya Ubuyashiki, the head of the Demon slayer corps.

"Let me go there, Oyakata-sama!" shouted the ever cheerful voice of the Flame pillar.

All heads turned to him. There had to be a reason for him in particular to volunteer for this so fast. Of course, he was quite energetic but the place was quite far away and he wasn't really close to Giyuu or Shinobu. To be honest, they expected Kanroji to go looking for her female friend.

"Such a quick decision is very flamboyant!" exclaimed the Sound pillar.

"Of course you can go, Kyojuro. But may I know the reason?"

"Naturally, Oyakata-sama! I have been in the area quite a few times and I know it around there rather well. Plus, I have a friend near that place which I haven't visited for a long time. I thought I may as well drop by when I go there." he said with a big smile.

"Very well then. You are to set off early tomorrow morning."

"Roger that!"

***

"You can't do that yet, Tomioka-san! Some of your bones are still fragile!"

"I can't just sit around doing nothing."

"Help me around the house in that case! I'll even let you chop wood, just stop this crazy lifting."

Giyuu let go of the ropes and two large rocks thumped against the ground. It has been two weeks since they sent out the crow and there was still no reply. During that time the man managed to recover some of his strength and continued to violate (Y/N)'s rules for his rehabilitation process. This was the second time that day that she caught him doing excercises he was still too weak to do (at least according to her).

Shinobu was sitting in the garden peacefully drinking tea and tending to the flowers. She has gotten quite close to the witch since they had some similar interests. They would spend hours talking about medicine and biology... Maybe even some girl stuff but he didn't really care for that.

All he wanted was to get back in shape so he could start killing demons again but both the medics seemed to enjoy limiting him. It wasn't only the need to do something, he felt that he was starting to get attached to the mountain doctor and he really didn't want that. She would die just like everyone else and he hated the pain of losing someone like that. He wanted to leave before she could become close to him.