Chapter 18: Demon Hunter (part 1)

Previously:

Shinobu could only stare in bewilderment as Tomioka Giyuu managed to negotiate much better than herself. He literally said three words. THREE! And that was all it took to convince the rounin. Something had to be wrong with this man! But at least they were getting the demon girl to go with them...

An unknown man was walking at the front, close to the hashiras and Kanae. The kakushi couldn't understand why a completely new face joined the group or why he was the one carrying the demon girl in a wooden box on his back. Not only that, how strong was that guy? A bag on his right shoulder was full of swords and he still managed to hold it up with seemingly no trouble while having the demon child on his other shoulder.

They would assume him to be a simple rounin but there was something unusual about him. He was one of the very few people that remained completely uninjured after the battle on Natagumo mountain and it just didn't make any sense. How was some random man capable of running into a demon infested forest and surviving without a single scratch? He was drenched in blood but it wasn't his, that much was obvious. Not a single tear was visible or his clothing and yet, his palms were bloody as if he murdered someone with his bare hands. What more, the hashiras seemed wary of him. To see such strong people stay on their guard all the time around someone sure was unsettling.

And still the rounin didn't utter a single word, didn't even try to reassure them that he meant no danger. Quite the opposite actually, he also kept his guard up and displayed the same hostility back at the demon slayers. From time to time he turned his head back to look at the kakushi carrying Tanjiro to the headquarters. His sharp gaze sent shivers crawling up their spines each time he did so, it was even more uncomfortable since the rest of his face was hidden under some sort of cloth and they couldn't make out any real facial expression. If the slayers weren't letting him walk free without restrains, they might have thought he was a demon too with that menacing aura.

***

Rengoku was standing guard at the gate of the Ubuyashiki estate, waiting for his collegues to arrive with the pair who was going to face a trial for violating the demon slayer codex. A crow has also reached the esate with a message that a bad coincidence dragged a commoner into this and they had to deal with him too. It was very vague and he didn't really know what to expect...

But not even in his wildest dreams would he imagine the sight that came into his view when the group from Natagumo mountain appeared on the road. There, walking in between Giyuu and Shinobu, was a man with a straw hat on his head. His eyes were hidden in the shadow and the rest of his face was covered. Hilts of more than a dozen of swords were peeking out from behind his back and another was strapped to his hip, ready to use. How many katanas did one person need? But the strangest thing was, that both Kocho and Tomioka were keeping their distance from him and the girl's eyes even seemed to shoot daggers at him. If looks could kill, the guy would be dead and six feet under.

The small group finally reached the gate. The two kakushi passed by him to bring an unconscious boy inside but the hashiras and the stranger stopped when he stepped into their way.

"I am sorry, but civilians aren't allowed inside!" he said with his everlasting smile on his face.

The rounin just shrugged. It didn't appear as if he really wanted to go in in the first place.

"I'm glad you understand! Now be on your way." the Flame pillar shooed him away.

His shoulders shook as if he was laughing but no sound came out from under that hat. Then he shook his head and started turning around. Rengoku didn't understand what was so funny but it didn't matter anyway, did it?