Chapter 5- The Jackson 5 Plus 1

                Date: Thursday, March 20, 1969

                Time: 7:55PM

                RANDY'S POV

I wistfully gazed at the band from the dining room table. They were going over their last song for the day, and boy, were they playing just beautifully. I may have been no more than seven years old, but I definitely knew just all of the energy, the feeling, the soul that everyone put into this kind of production. Those hours upon hours of endless practice and show after show would never, ever be erased from my little mind.

Unfortunately, the whole household was under a gloom spell. I couldn't tell why for the life of me, because it was just over a week before that they got signed to Motown records, the one goal they have been lobbying for since 1963. In fact, if I were in their positions, I would be glad- no, grateful - of what things I had accomplished.

That was why I adored music so very much. Even though everyone was in a despondent mood, their music lit up the entire atmosphere for them. People's haggard, annoyed, exhausted expressions soon turned to those of jubilance and ecstasy. I wanted to be a part of that kind of magic and madness all at once, too. That was why I practiced as hard as I did. I had to prove Joseph that I could be just as good as the rest of the Jackson 5, and be younger than all of them.

Anyways, I stared down at Michael's old bongo set. Rubbing one index finger over the top of the drum in a circular pattern, I decided that it was time for me to finally ask Joseph to see if I could join the band. I mean, they were already signed, so it only seemed logical for me to ask now.

First-grade logic, plain and simple.

I rested my head on my knuckles, patiently waiting for the band practice to be over with. When everyone was gone and the atmosphere relaxed a little, I wanted to ask Joseph an important question, possibly one that could change my life forever. 

I was gonna try to make the Jackson 5, the Jackson 6... Plus Johnny.

Surely, it would work. Because Michael was no longer a percussionist in the band, Jackie was the only one, other than Johnny, who held the spot. I figured that the band needed more drums, because my music teacher had told me that drums were the foundation of a beat.

I didn't believe her at first. However, the more I thought about it, the more I realized that she was right. What would any of our popular songs, ranging from "I Feel Good" to "A Hard Day's Night" be without all of the drums in the background? Much less. That was the answer, I believed.

In the end, I concluded that Joseph had to let me join the band. If I addressed the need for drums the way I had it mentally planned, then I'd be put into the band immediately. It would be my dream come true.

I knew that being a part of the Jacksons would be difficult. Michael had already warned me of the excessive hours of planning, practicing, and performing; the three P's of being in show business. I knew that would be headed my way, and I gladly accepted it. I wanted the work, the thrill, the stress, the time strain... I wanted it all.

There were times that I even dreamed about all of the time I would spend behind stages, maybe warming up for a big show or negotiating with important people for record plans. And, of course, as Marlon mentioned to me, the food was quite a perk to being a big name. There were also wardrobes, friendships, business meetings where I would have to sign my own name in a blank spot... everything. It seemed to be the ideal life for me.

The time finally came to end practice after a tantalizing five minutes. With anticipation, I stared as things started to get packed up, voices began to flood the living room, La Toya's noisy, yet mellifluous clarinet melody filled any remaining air, and footsteps thunked across our tiny hallway. Just a little time more, and I would be able to get Joseph's full and undivided attention... most likely.

I knew that Kayla and Johnny would probably stay at the house for another half hour, so I had to ask Joseph privately. That would mean I'd wait until he's in another room. I decided to stay in the kitchen, because he went in there more often than anywhere else. Strangely enough, he was usually not in here for food. That didn't matter, though. What did matter was the fact that I could ask him for acceptance into the band.

It didn't take long for Joseph to find some reason to amble into the kitchen. He staggered inside, his eyes half-open, looking and seeming totally exhausted, even though he wasn't the one ot the kids dancing about. He wearily hobbled to the refrigerator and lazily opened the door, exposing the white light shining upon our leftovers. He pulled out a Sam Adams and popped open the lid with ease.

At last, it was my turn to say something to him. Fromt he table, I softly called Daddy by his name. "Joseph?"

"Hmm?" He took a generous sip of his drink. "What is it?"

"Um..." I scratched the back of my head nervously. "Could I please be in the band? I've practiced a lot recently. Have you heard me on the drums?"

"Be a part of the band, you say? Why would you want that? They work all the time."

"Because... I'm left with all the girls when you leave. I don't have anyone to play with, and I get bored. Please?" I clasped my hands together pleadingly.

"Well..."

"Have you heard me on the drums?" I repeated.

Joseph shot me a gruff look. "Bongos," he stifled irritably, "and yes, I've heard you. I hear you nearly every night."

My eyes widened. "Whaddaya think about it? Do I sound good? Do I sound swingin'?"

He contemplated this for a moment, tapping his chin in thought. "Well... ya need work. Decent for a second grader, but not enough. Come to me when you are better."

My spirits dropped, but only slightly. "Okay..."

It wasn't really the answer that I was looking for, but it would work for now. I guessed that it would only be healthy to have a little competition here and there. And besides, I would be practicing tomorrow. Having more practice means having more experience, which leads to more improvement. I would have improved by the next day, I could just ask him the next day,

There's that logic again.