Chapter 10- Last Day

               Date: Wednesday, June 18, 1969

                Time: 2:59PM

                MICHAEL'S POV

My bottom lip quivered just slightly, but not enough for anyone to see. I closed my eyes as tightly as I could, to the point where no emotions could be read, except for frustration, perhaps. I regulated my breathing and tried easing myself in place.

It didn't work. That day had to be the worst day of my time in Gary, and for one very large reason that could never be helped with. No, the Jacksons weren't leaving for California yet. In fact, we had barely packed anything by this point. However, today was the last day of school for all Lake County School Systems. It would be my final day of schooling in Gary, and possibly the last time I would ever see my teachers and friends.

Well, except for Kayla. She was stuck with me, anyways.

However, there were so many people that I was going to miss: My kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Childress; my strict second grade teacher, Ms. Simms; quirky and young Miss Parker; good old Mrs. Broder; my current teacher, Mr. Howell; and nearly every pupil in my class. Even Jeremy would be missed dearly, for what would my school days been without him?

I peeked over my desk a couple rows. Kayla's head rested on her shoulders, her eyes wistfully peering at the clock on the right end of the room. 2:59PM. It would only be one minute until our last day of school was officially over, and we had to head back to my house for practice, practice, and more practice. After all, Joe informed us that the Apollo called back for the Jackson 5 to perform with Joe Simon and those Five Stairsteps in a couple days.

We had to leave the next morning...

The school bell came as no shock to me, but rather a sense of despondence. I glumly stared at my desk as the other kids sped for the door, ready to begin their summer full of relaxation, friends, and fun. The only two people who stayed behind were Kayla and Mr. Howell, who was calmly erasing the chalkboard as if it were any other school day.

Taking in a deep breath full of hesitation, I started to get up. As much as I didn't want to, I had to go home and decide on which songs the group would be performing for the next week. They had to be compatible with the kinds of songs that both groups would sing, so I had to listen to some of Joe Simon's samples tonight. I already had heard a lot of music from the Five Stairsteps, so I didn't need to listen to any of theirs. I just needed to find a balance between the two, or maybe play some of our recorded Steeltown "hits".

I didn't want to think about that right now, though. In all honesty, I wanted to be brought back to the beginning of this year, when I was actually somewhat annoyed with the school system, so I wouldn't be so upset about leaving now. But of course, it was too late to change the time now.

"Michael?"

I peered up from my seat just to see Kayla standing over me. Her eyes were slightly irritated, just as mine were, but did not make a deal out of it. She slung her shabby knapsack over her shoulder, letting out a sigh. "The teacher left."

Sniffle. "Already?"

She nodded sadly. "It's time for us to go... School's closing in five minutes."

"But I don't wanna go." I blinked several times, trying to clear out my vision.

Just as I had, she sighed wistfully. "I know."

Reluctantly, I tugged on the worn strap of my knapsack and pulled it to my side. "It's just that, you know, we'll never come back, not to this school. We'll be somewhere else come a couple months."

She nodded hopelessly. "This'll be the last time we'll even set foot in here. We're never gonna see these classrooms again." Her eyes became glassy.

"Could we please change the topic?" I quickly stifled. "I don't wanna talk about this no more."

Between her sniffles, she muttered, "Double negative." 

I furrowed my brows. "Not the time..."

We were the last people out of the vicinity of the school. Even after we staggered outside, the two of us lingered around the courtyard where others stayed. Everyone had been so overjoyed there, playing on the swing sets and chasing one another in an engaging game of tag. That place gave off the positive energy I needed to make me feel happier.

Kayla and I dully plopped ourselves on the dinky, old swing sets. I had attempted to swing, but when I heard a ugly groan from the chains holding the swing up, I decided against it. Besides, no one was really in the mood for that kind of activity yet. For the first time in my life, I didn't feel like joining the others in play.

The two of us simply watched as the other kids played about. There was a group of third and fourth grade boys who congregated around a sand pit and made mounds together. As any normal kids would, they were conversing back and forth, laughing and joking about nothing in particular. Once they were finished with their projects, they kicked their own sand mounds down to the ground.

To the left of us, maybe ten feet away, were some kindergarten girls. They were sitting in the sand and playing with their Barbies like how one would play House. The Barbies were babies and they had been the responsible adults, taking over charge of the little babies and laughing about "play eating". I giggled, actually intrigued with their interesting conversation.

But what caught Kayla's eye was probably the strangest sight to behold on the playground. I wouldn't have even seen anything happen if it wasn't for her tugging at my shirtsleeve, loudly whispering my name. "Michael. Hey, Michael! Lookie there... Looks like some sixth graders."

I averted my attention to the only bench in the locale. There were, in fact, two sixth graders, a guy and girl. It would have been normal for the two of them just to sit together as they typically did every day, but the boy took things a little too far this time. I could even hear their exchange as I concentrated upon them.

"We're almost in seventh grade..." The girl spoke, her head bowed down. 

"I know," the boy squeaked, his voice beginning to crack. "This year's gone real fast."

She chuckled softly. "You bet it did."

The boy bobbed his head up and down, understanding of her. I thought he would have just smiled or carried on to something else, but he had different things in mind.

The girl was smiling widely, but staring ahead. She was not in any way staring in or around his direction. Her hands were neatly folded in her lap, and she seemed to just be taking in the scenery. Maybe she knew what was coming, or maybe she didn't, but it came as a shock to everyone else.

The kid was quick to act on his part. While she was looking away, he leaned in close to her. For a split second, I could see the area around his mouth pucker up. Just like any other kiddie romance, he landed a tiny kiss on her cheek, just like that. Her eyes widened, but seemingly not out of surprise.

At that moment, the boys who were kicking down their own sand dunes yelped just like little girls. "Oooh," they cooed. "Eli and Barbara, sitting in a tree..."

Kayla and I eyed each other widely. Suddenly, the sullen mood was replaced with a sense of urgency, as though we shouldn't be witnessing this kind of event. Almost simultaneously, we bounced up from our swing sets, grabbed hold of our knapsacks, and booked out of there.

By the time we made it out of the playground, we were both panting. Holding on to my sides, I gasped, "Should we bring this up at home?"

The response was instantaneous. She shook her head wildly, nearly shouting, "No, no! Let's never speak of this."

I nodded, my lips pursed. "Agreed."