Chapter 24- 1601 Queens Road

Date: Monday, November 3, 1969

Time: 3:46PM

KATHERINE'S POV

"Are we there yet?!"

"No, not quite, Randy. It'll just be a little longer, I promise." I lightly smooched the top of his nearly-bald head a shot a motherly grin at his grimace. "Remember, California's a long way from Indiana."

"I know," he grumbled, "but it should be closer."

"I'm sorry, little man. That's not how it works, unfortunately."

"But it should be."

"Randy, are you gonna start this again? I already got onto you once about arguing with me."

He crossed his arms defiantly. "I am not arguing with you."

La Toya, who was seated across the plane along with Janet, suppressed a giggle. "Randy, I do believe you're arguing now."

"That's a matter of opinion." Light, airy huffs escaped from his mouth.

Oh, goodness, I thought, inwardly rolling my eyes. He's just as dramatic as Joe is. In an attempt to change the subject for my most disputatious son, I asked, "Do you want to read some of these magazines?" My finger drew along the stapled bindings of a Jet tabloid.

"Nope," he replied honestly. "I just want to get off my butt and do something."

I can see where he and Michael are related, I thought, unnoticeably shaking my head. They have the same drive that never ceases to weaken.

"Well, how about you tell me what you want to do once we get to our new house? There's a lot to be offered."

Randy's eyes were glued to the ceiling. "Well... I wanna be a part of the Jackson 5, maybe make it the Jackson 6 or somethin'. I also wanna have my own room and try to meet the Chi-Lites."

"Your own room?" La Toya scoffed. "As long as I get my own, there's no complaining there. Sleeping with Janet these past couple months has been a real mess."

I opened my mouth to reply to the two of them, but promptly chose to keep my mouth shut. Undoubtedly, Randy would be quite perturbed with me once I told him that he was sharing a room with Janet and possibly Kayla. Her parents got the news that Berry was renting another home within our new neighborhood for them, but the two adults were dragging along and smelling the roses.

However, if it was not for La Toya nagging me about packing every few moments, I could have possibly been in the same situation. It was no easy task packing up my memories for paradise.

Letting go of our home was no easy task. With eleven people living in that home all at once, and being there for such a long time, memories had taken root there. Letting go of the little home in Gary was like letting go of a small part of every one of us. The memories of the days after bringing Randy and Janet home, Tito breaking Joseph's guitar string, Jackie nearly driving the Buick into the side of our house, and the endless hours of rehearsals seemed like insignificant, barely noteworthy things, but they were memories that I had trouble setting free.

Out of my peripheral vision, I could see the Squirrel, my little Janet, curled into a fetal position. One of her little, chubby thumbs had made its way into her mouth, and she sucked on it tentatively. A giggle escaped from her mouth, yet her eyes remained shut tightly. Her free arm and legs were bent at odd angles, giving the impression of someone in a deep sleep.