Chapter 28 - Booming Business

Date: Sunday, December 14, 1969

Time: 8:43PM

MICHAEL'S POV

"Warm-up, warm-up, warm-up... It's warm-up time." I rubbed my hands together furiously, causing them to heat up slightly. "Time to get ready."

"Are you alright, Mike?" Kayla smoothed out her printed pants while maintaining her gaze with me. "You've been kinda tense all night."

"Not tense," I corrected. "It's just a big night, that's all."

"Oh, alright, I see... Hey, wait a moment." Her attention was focused on my hands, which limply laid by my sides. "What is that?"

"What's what?" I pulled my right hand up, scrutinizing the details. "Kate said I've got a long life line, if that's what you mean."

"No, not that. The other hand. Do you see that, too?" She pulled my hand up and rubbed her finger over the back. "Do you see that? It's like a little streak or something."

With some closer examination, I could see what she was talking about. There seemed to be a little, creamy streak of something on my hand. It was nothing of major significance, but it did look kind of irregular.

I chose not to make too much of a deal about it. "It's probably just some dried makeup. Some ladies came in some time ago to un-shine my face with some kind of powder." I peeled my attention form the mark to Kayla, feeling fairly confident in my decision. "It'll probably just wash off in the shower tonight."

She did not appear very convinced. "Okay. I just thought I saw something like that a while back. I'm just a wee bit concerned, that's all."

"I'm not dyin', Kayla," I giggled. Shoving my hands deep into my pockets, I added, "We just need to start warming up, that's all. Do you know where Tito went? He told me he was getting himself 'ready for action'."

My best friend crossed her arms, a smirk playing on her face. "Sounds like him," she chuckled. "But no, I don't think I've seen him. I'd say we just get to the right of the stage. That's where Miss Kazan came through when was summoned to the stage."

From behind the two of us, Marlon's voice interrupted the conversation. "Summoned to the stage?" he asked, waggling his eyebrows. "Hehe, you mean Lainie Kazan? Summoned to the stage, that's a funny choice of words."

Kayla turned around, eyeing Marlon's jeans. "Not very funny, Farmer."

"Farmer?" He gazed at his attire protectively. "I think it looks snazzy, just so ya know." He positioned his hat to the side. "Super snazzy."

"What are you doing here?" Kayla finally questioned, failing to hide a grin. "Where are the others?"

"We're all waiting for you two, behind the stage. Where else would we be?"

"Disneyland," I dreamily chimed. "That's the bag. Oh, Marlon! We're in Los Angeles, so much closer to Disneyland. Do you think Kate will let us go sometime?"

My older brother let out an exasperated huff. "Woudja just come with me? Joe's waiting for you two, you know."

As I followed behind a marching Marlon and reluctant Kayla, I silently let out my personal thoughts about Joseph at the given moment. "He always needs us for somethin', doesn't he? He's always just saying, 'Do this', or 'Do that', and 'Dance for me'. He's so, so-"

"Persnickety?" Kayla suggested, her voice in a low whisper. She bit her bottom lip, so as to not start laughing. "You're getting a bit heated, Mike."