Chapter 22- To Make My Father Proud

Date: Saturday, October 18, 1969

Time: 9:30PM

MICHAEL'S POV

As if the lines had been perfectly etched into her mind, she recited the paper to the camera with ease. "Good evening, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to the Hollywood Palace. It's wonderful to return as your hostess again, especially tonight, while I have the pleasure of introducing a great young star, who has been in the business all of his life."

I beamed. She was talking about me, just little old Michael Jackson. Diana Ross, a truly big name in the industry, was congratulating a little boy who grew in the little-known steel town of Gary, Indiana. That was truly something to feel special about.

Diana continued, her eyes sparkling. "He's worked with his family, and when he sings and dances, he lights up the stage. Here he is." She guided her dainty, little hand to her right, leaving the camera to cut over to the next view.

I patiently waited in place. I knew she was referring to me, but I was also well aware that it wasn't my queue yet. No, like all other Hollywood Palace episodes, there had to be a little comedic twist here and there. Of course, who would be better at such twists than the most prominent member of the Rat Pack, Mister Sammy Davis, Jr.?

He nonchalantly came jogging to the stage, looking over-confident, and took a pose at the front of the stage. His lips lightly pressed against Diana's hands as a kind gesture, and his mini-speech began. "Thank you for that marvelous introduction, Diana. And now, ladies and gentlemen, I would like to..."

I initially planned on listening to the whole comedy segment before our performance, but I zoned out. Michael, look at what Sammy's doing, I told myself. He acts so cool and collected on stage. If he can do it, then you sure can... But then again, why are you so tense? It's like the whole world is falling apart. You know it isn't, though, Mike. You gotta, um, snap out of it or something.

Ignoring my sweaty hands, I attempted to avert my attention back to the two in front of the stage.

"Oh, well, uh, what's the matter?" Sammy's expression was as serious as they came, even with his sunglasses on.

"Well, you see, I was introducing, uh, someone else," Diana clarified. Her face was as sorry as they came, making the whole argument seem convincing.

I peered behind my back. Kayla was situating herself on the bench so she did not have to do so during the performance. Her feet barely touched the floor, and she looked rather puny and shrimp-like compared to the piano. However, when the world saw her abilities, they would surely not underestimate her.

Just don't get her to sing, I thought, mentally referring to the night Joseph had her going along to one of Artie Shaw's tunes. Everyone, including herself, agreed that she was completely tone-deaf.

Knowing that I had to give my undivided thought and attention to what was coming up next, I came back to Miss Ross and Mister Davis. "Now, you wanna tell me who's young, who's been in show business all his life, and who lights up the stage except me and Ed Sullivan?!"

I giggled softly. This was supposed to be the "gag scene" of sorts in the segment. Of course, no-one other than Sammy Davis could pull something like that off and still appear amusing. Everyone knew that Ed Sullivan was certainly not a spring chicken, nor did he practice all his life.

With one finger raised, Diana was quick to correct him. "Well, one other: Michael Jackson and the Jackson 5." Her hand led itself to her right yet again, this time introducing the real event of this Hollywood Palace.