chapter 38

Its here, their moment is here guys! -Rhi

-Rhi

"And you're sure you want to do this?" Hvitserk asked for what felt like the hundredth time that morning.

Again I laughed, turning towards him with a sarcastic eye-roll and folded arms. "Hvitserk," I responded impatiently, walking over to pull him by the arm as I ran through the streets of Rogaland. "We don't have time. Freyja's day is tomorrow!"

"I thought you and Ivar weren't getting married until after we took Kattegat." He replied, reluctantly letting me lead him around the bustling town as I collected everything that I needed for the following day.

Again I laughed gleefully, ducking under heavy barrels of goods that were being carried through the street before finally stopping at one of the market stalls to stare at all the beautiful garments that were hung around. In Viking society, I knew it was not yet normal to wear a white wedding dress - red or blue would've been far more fitting for the bride of someone so high status. And yet, my mind could not help but return to what I knew to be normal in my own time - the familiar old white wedding of old. Not so much for what it symbolised - which I found utterly ridiculous - but purely because it was so engrained in my mind as what weddings looked like.

"I can't wait until then." I answered when he finally caught up with me again, my fingers tracing the many fabrics laid out in front of me. "What do you think of this one?"

Again, Hvitserk gave me a flat look, "Iris, do I look like I know anything about wedding dresses?"

I smiled, leaning in to nudge his arm softly. "I don't know, maybe? Worth a try." But, as I looked through all the many beautiful dresses, I couldn't help but think about my parents. They would've loved to have seen this moment. My mother would've certainly known which dress to choose, and my father - well he probably would've just completely panicked over the idea that I was marrying his all-time favourite historical figure. But they weren't here. They wouldn't ever be here. They'd never get to see their daughter get married, never get to see this proud moment. For all they knew, I was dead. I suppose, in some weird way, I was. To them, I'd been dead for centuries.

Hvitserk seemed to notice the sorrow that washed over me, the utter agony that swept through my veins in some heartbreaking symphony. "What's wrong?" His voice was compassionate, and more than welcome as I felt a small tear slip down my cheek.

"I-" My words were broken, and I couldn't quite find what I wanted to say. What was I supposed to say? 'oh sorry, I was just thinking about how I'm from a thousand years in the future and have no idea if I can ever even return to my time - or if I even want to because I've fallen in love with your brother.' But, eventually, I found my words again and composed myself. "I don't have any family anymore. Nobody except you and Ivar." I paused, gulping back my sadness oncemore. "My parents can't escort me to my own wedding."