chapter 2

"Because of it being so defensible - and of course navigable- for the Viking invaders, York was the perfect city to conquer

"Because of it being so defensible - and of course navigable- for the Viking invaders, York was the perfect city to conquer." My father explained, a smile as he talked about the thing he was most passionate about in this world. At the time, it was certainly an interest of mine but it didn't become my passion until far later. Love has a funny way of doing that to a person.

"Look!" I interjected cheerily, running over to the ancient stone wall. "Echinacea!" I picked the pretty flower, placing it in my pocket gently as I skipped back over to my two tired parents. Of late, I'd found an interest in herbs and their medicinal uses - particularly in their uses historically speaking. Although I was no biology student, I did enjoy medicine. And I suppose the history of medicine was my way of compromising.

"Oh no!" My father said, pulling me in for a hug. "We are not letting the daughter of two of Cambridge's most respected historians become a botanist."

I laughed, rolling my eyes as my mother held onto my hand. "You can do whatever makes you happy darling, ignore your father." She sighed with a small chuckle.

I smiled brightly, tipping my hat to the both of them as I walked backwards away from the couple. "Then," I declared, looking up at the bright blue sky and heaving in the fresh air. "I want to be a queen." I laughed. "I think I'd look quite groovy with a crown, don't you?"

"Perhaps 'groovy'." My mother imitated, pulling me closer and out of the way of a man that I had previously almost fallen over. "But still clumsy."

I smiled, kissing her cheek, "It's all part of my charm."

As we continued walking, I noticed both of them growing tired. No matter how much I want to explore the old city, I knew they were both much older than they'd once been and the excitement was something they weren't quite used to - along with my overly enthusiastic demeanor. My mother clung onto her husband as the wind grew stronger and I knew it reminded her of days when he'd not been by her side. I couldn't now, from my 1960s perspective, imagine how awful it must've been for them during the war. The watching, the waiting, the not knowing if they'd ever even see eachother again. I was lucky enough to know that I'd never have to see such horrors. I knew it still tore at him, at them both.

"I want to explore more." I decided, leaning against the large wall. "But I think you two should get some rest before tomorrow."

"Iris we are not just leaving you to wander on your own-" My mother began, almost as if she knew something might happen.

"Mother," I insisted, holding her hand. "I'm 18, not 8, I'll be fine. Besides, it's not like I'll be long, I couldn't possibly miss dinner."

She frowned, as though she hated the idea of leaving me alone for even the briefest second. "Well alright..." She sighed, looking to my dad who was ready to fall asleep. "But we'll see you in an hour and no less, understood?"

I nodded, beaming brightly, "Aye aye Captain" I saluted, stumbling slightly as I did so. She chuckled, rolling her eyes as the two left. As I watched them go, I felt this strange sensation wash over me - this feeling that I should run and hug them and never let go. It was so strong that I feared I might cry there on the spot. But as quickly as it came, the feeling left and I sighed a heavy breath before continuing on.

It was nice being alone sometimes. I often went on long walks in nature, nothing but the birds and the light breeze as music. I'd usually take a book or two and find a spot to read in for a while before adventuring further. It wasn't uncommon for me to disappear for the whole day, coming home for a large meal and snacks to take up to my room.

I liked the outdoors, the leaves under my boots and the animals roaming freely without human interaction. Sometimes I wished I could be like them too, free from any responsibility, free from people.

As I sat on the grass looking up at the sky, something caught my attention. It was a jagged rock, old as time it seemed, and as I looked at it I couldn't help but feel entranced. As I walked closer, I noticed words on the stone.

'Leave' they spelled. It was probably nothing, teenagers trying to terrify people again, but that didn't stop a deathly chill from running up my spine. I crouched down, touching the letters, before my eyes trailed to something else - a pendant.

On the ground, a necklace weathered so fiercely that I could hardly tell it was a necklace, lay. It was hidden under the rock but as I pulled it, I realised almost immediately what it was.

The same necklace that I was wearing at that very moment, one that my best friend had made for me as a parting gift. Perhaps it was an odd coincidence, or maybe this was a famous historical piece that she had simply copied to make her own silverware. But just like the letters, I couldn't shake the feeling that it was more than that. Whatever it was, it left me nervous.

👀👀I promise my BB Ragnarssons are on their way lmao

-Rhi