Chapter Twenty-Five (Edited)

"Be with me always - take any form - drive me mad!

only do not leave me in this abyss,

where I cannot find you!

Oh, God! it is unutterable!

I can not live without my life!

I can not live without my soul!"

― Emily Brontë, Wuthering Heights

WYATT

The monitor's repetitive beeps became so common of me to hear and tune out, I almost hadn't noticed when Liv appeared the next morning with a subtle knock on the door and a set of clean clothes for me.

It has been thirteen long hours. The first hour was transporting her blood-soaked declining body to the hospital. I couldn't stand the thought of losing her as I waited for an ambulance to show- so Sean drove, as I held her body in the backseat. He drove through stop signs, and over sidewalks as the sirens blared. But I couldn't hear them. I couldn't hear anything other than my heart's loud thumbs rapidly pumping in my head. I only saw the blue lights as it reflected off of surrounding buildings.

The pure adrenaline reminded me of Afghanistan.

The possibility of losing her sent me in an episode. It's all a bur, I can't remember a lot of what happen or the actions I took, like physically carrying her away from the fire or getting in the car. It's all a daze. But I remember keeping my fingers to her neck constantly checking for a pulse. I remember her coding in my arms, quickly laying her flat as I started chest compressions, I remember watching blood mist in the air in slow motion before the warm liquid speckled my face as I pushed in her chest for the first time, I felt her ribs crack under my palms. Not noticing my strength from the adrenaline that fueled from my fear of losing her. I remember administering CPR for the second time before the tires screeched to a stop at the Emergency entry way under the awning strictly reserved for first responders. The hospital staff rushed to the car pulling her from my hands.

The next two hours was spent watching doctors and nurses pinching off bleeds, stabilizing Abbie before transferring her to the OR for immediate surgery. And the fourth- The fourth was talking to the doctor.

"She is stabilized for now; the bullet hit her clavicle, shattering it as it entered the left side of her upper chest, the bullet along with some shards of bone damaged some lung tissue and nicked a major blood vessel; Since the bone is collapsed it is currently shifted inward. This is causing extra pressure as she breathes. And three of her rib bones were broken during compressions."

"That was my fault, I pushed too hard in the car."

"Maybe so, but you brought her back, and to us with a pulse." He skims over the medical chart before removing his glasses. Gesturing me to take a seat. Never a good sign.

"Mr. Pectin, you should understand we had to put Abagail in a medically induce coma. The trauma her body experienced requires intense rest, she was placed on a ventilator to ease her breathing as her upper chest heals from the collapse- There is no easy way to say this." He clears his throat before sitting on the arm of one of the worn waiting room chairs.

"During the trauma and early life saving measures my team wasn't aware of her pregnancy until it was too late."

"Pregnancy? What? Ho- how far?"

"Within the first trimester, by measurements we estimate close to six weeks."

Anything else the Doctor tells me is all a blur, sinking into my seat, my body goes numb, the only feeling I have is the pain in my tightening chest. An innocent life. Gone. My baby. Gone. I was going to be a dad. Staring into a blank space Doctor Chavez places a hand on my shoulder.