Chapter Five (Edited)

"The most beautiful people we have known

are those who have known defeat

, known suffering, known struggle, known loss,

and have found their way out of the depths.

These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity,

and an understanding of life that fills them

with compassion, gentleness, and a deep loving concern.

Beautiful people do not just happen."

                                                           -Dr. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross        

 WYATT

It's been a little over a year since I bought this ole rig. And honestly, it's gone way further that I ever imagined it would. I had my doubts, especially when it broke down in Oklahoma. I ended up getting stuck there for five weeks, working little odd end jobs, just to scrounge up enough money to replace the battery, misfiring coil packs and a dry rot tire. I slept in my car for a few days near the mechanic shop to save on renting out a rundown Motel room. Until Charlie, the Town's mechanic knocked on my window one morning, offering me a fresh cup of coffee and a job.

Accepting his offer immediately, I started bright and early, sweeping floors and shining the shops windows, eventually moving up to help organize parts and doing most of the heavy lifting.

Charlie was a short and round fella, with silvering hair. He was a father of twins who kept him on his toes with mischief and on his feet with afterschool activities. He knew I was only passing through and on my way to Colorado but was still generous enough to keep me employed while paying me with cash under the table. Even letting me sleep in his small, overcrowded office. And at times he and his wife Renee would invite me over for dinner. I'd close shop for him on the days he would have to leave early to pick up the boys from Baseball practice. And on Friday's I started tutoring his boys in Math and English. Charlie was smart and did well with fractions, but didn't have the patience for formulas, theorems, or comprehending classic literature such as Macbeth or Beowulf.

He took me under his wing, and I managed to learn a little about engines and started to enjoy fixing cars before leaving. It was nice to learn a new craft with my hands, something different other than mending fences, herding cattle, and tending to the horse stalls. But without having a solid source of income and a Technical School not even being an option, I decided to enlist in the Military, once in Denver, the city had plenty of Recruitment Centers.

 But without having a solid source of income and a Technical School not even being an option, I decided to enlist in the Military, once in Denver, the city had plenty of Recruitment Centers