Epilogue

"There is a life and there is a death,

and there are beauty and melancholy between."

– Albert Camus

FOUR YEARS LATER

"Hey Aunt Abbie mama and Uncle Wyatt said Pe- Uh peo- these flowers are your favorite!"

Liv's low chuckle followed her young gleeful voice. "Peonies honey."

"Yea, what mama said!"

"Hey, there's my favorite niece!"

Abilene's sparkling light up rain boots lit up the floor with blue and pink flashing lights as she ran into my arms, her innocent laughter warming my heart as I wished Abbie were awake to hear it.

Climbing onto my lap with a grunt, she places one of her tiny hands to my cheek, demanding my attention. "Hey Uncee Wy, I learned a new song; can I sing it to Aunt Abbie?"

"You sure can! I bet she'd love to hear you sing."

Using me merely as a stepping stool, she crawls onto the bed, lifting Abbie's hand to her chest. It was something Liv taught her to do so that Abbie could get a fuller sense of communication and could feel the vibrations of Abilene's voice in her palm.

The moment Liv found out she was pregnant; she just knew in her heart it'd be a little girl. She told Abbie of her pregnancy before Sean, and during her visits she'd update Abs on the little baby's measurements. Week by week she would waddle in here without fail, morning sickness or rain couldn't keep her away.

I remember coming in one morning after therapy to find Alivia laying next to her with a fetal doppler for the first time, running the probe along her swollen belly. She placed the tiny speaker atop the pillow so Abbie could listen as she moved the probe around explaining the different sounds, to the swooshing of the core versus the golloping sound of the heartbeat.

I remember the lump that formed in my throat when Alivia came by the hospital to tell Abbie and I the gender, the heat of the tears that threatened to spill when she felt the need to ask if it would be alright the name her, Abilene, Abbie for short.

The moment she was released from the hospital, she demanded Sean to drive her across town to see Abbie before going home to rest. Since then, Abilene came with Alivia once a week to visit Aunt Abbie. When she was an infant she'd often nap against Abbie's arms, as she learned to talk, she'd recite the alphabet and practiced the parts of her face with Abbie, giving Abs eskimo kisses after pointing to her nose. As she got older, she learned to sing. Barney's, I love you being her favorite.

"love me too" a raspy hoarse voice joins Abilene at the tail end of her song, pulling Liv and I both from our seats.

We had false hopes before, rushing to get a nurse only to discover her fingers moved from nerves, but speaking, that was different.

"mama! Aunt Abbie liked my song!"

"Wy-att?" her voice croaked.

"I'm right here sweetie" I whisper, not wanting to overwhelm her.

"Would you like some water?"

As beautiful as ever, she nodded before attempting to sit up.

"Woah easy love, let's take it slow." I laugh with a beaming smile no one could take from me.

"Let me help. The doctor will be in to check on you soon."

But I could tell by the confusion in her eyes as they peered into mine after gazing into Abilene's, her wheels were already turning. As if our thoughts were in sync, Livi's maternal instincts kicked in, politely asking Abilene to go play with her stuffed doll as the grownups spoke.

Lifting the backrest on her bed in a sitting position, I prop a pillow to support her head before Livi gently grabs Abbie's hand placing it in her own.

"Abbie honey, do you know who I am?"

"Alivia Young."

"Do you remember what happened?"

Her brows shift from calm to worry as she turns to face me, her eyes tracing over my chest before filling with tears.

"Wyatt was shot!"

"No, Abbie I'm fine."

"No, I remember seeing the blood on your shirt after th- the fire?" her free hand flies up covering her mouth.

"Sh, everyone is alright, it's alright." I assure her, looking at Livi before going on.

"Abbie you were shot, not me. But you are all better now, you barely have a scar. But you have been – sleeping for a while."

"Sleeping?"

"Bu- the little girl?"

"It wasn't a dream?"

"The little girl? You mean Abilene? You – remember her?" Alivia tried to swallow back the excitement from her voice but can't help but smile.

"She sings to me in my dreams."

***

When time Abbie's memory strengthened recalling our visits, she was able to quote lines from some books I had read to her over the years, she remembered hearing a baby's cry, and hearing Weston's laughter during his visit after extended tour. After therapy Abbie was finally able to walk, standing in Sean and Livi's wedding only weeks later.

That night we danced again for the first time in four years, her tiny toes resting on the top of my boots.