Chapter Nine (Edited)

Warning this Chapter describes acts of violence as well as sexual content. Please be advised.

"The most difficult thing is the decision to act.

The rest is merely tenacity."

– Amelia Earhart

           WYATT

Sitting in the old worn armchair, a whimper pulls me from my concentration from across the room. Peeling my eyes from the pages, I look up to notice Liv reaching across the kitchen bar to grab her overnight tote. It's been a week since her attack, and her entire body is still spotted in yellow as her deep purple bruises take time to heal. Her busted lip was no longer bloody and scabbed over, the black around her eyes were easy to conceal with makeup but her arms and other joints were stiff and extending them still hurt like hell. Luckily, other than the cuts and bruises, she only sustained a few defensive wounds: a fractured elbow and two broken knuckles. I hope she broke that piece of shit's nose.

Getting the girls to move out of the trashed apartment was far from easy. They were headstrong at first, especially Alivia. But after Weston and I pretty much begged them to break the lease and offered to pay the damn penalty fee, they agreed. A measly 500 bucks doesn't matter to me if it can't keep them safe. Keep Abbie Safe. I hate seeing the girls so scared and skittish, Alivia's perky spirit broken. Who the fuck, beats a woman anyway? 

Placing the book on the end table, I shift in my seat to dig out the phone from my back pocket, scrolling to my recent call log,

"Detective Upton please, this is Wyatt Pectin."

"Sure, one moment."

An outdated static filled country song buzzes through the speaker as I sit on hold.

"Hello Wyatt? Listen I'm glad you called! Do you think Ms. Alivia would be willing to look at a line up? We have a few suspects meeting her description on the attacker. Our results on the fingerprints we lifted are still being tested in the lab. But if we can speed up the investigation with a line up, we can keep him in holding until the Trial. Frankly, the sooner we can pick up this guy the better."

"Can I be with her for the lineup?" I ask, turning my head away from the speaker as I shout for Alivia from the neighboring room she ran off to.

"-And how soon?"

"Today, I'm looking at three of the dip shits right now. And yea, of course, the more support she has the better."

"One sec" I drop my phone to my chest, shifting my attention to her,

"How do you feel about going down to the station to look at a few suspects? I'd like to come with you- if that's alright. I know you'd probably rather Abbie or Weston but-"

"Are you kidding? When? Let's get this son of a bitch." Not the reaction I was expecting.

"Hey, uh-" but Detective Upton cuts me off with a chuckle,

"I heard her, hell of a spirit. You should definitely come with her. It's completely different when victims see their attackers for the first time after an assault. It can really tear them down. Anyways, I'll go ahead and bring a few others in, see you guys around 3."

As we sit behind the window of the the interrogation room, Upton briefly gives us a rundown on how a line up works, and makes sure Liv is comfortable before we start. Shaking her head, she agrees to start.