chapter ten

WHEN JACKIE FINALLY got Remus alone a few days after the moon she wasn't sure how to even bring up the conversation

....WHEN JACKIE FINALLY got Remus alone a few days after the moon she wasn't sure how to even bring up the conversation. He was apparently heading to the library when Jackie caught him by the arm just outside the library entrance. She dragged him into an alcove as he spluttered and tripped up behind her.

When they were finally out of the sight of everyone she stood there and looked at him in silent thought, wondering how to phrase her discovery. Remus finally broke the silence. "Jackie, I don't know why you're under this impression but I'm sorry, I'm really not interested in you like this." He told her, sounding slightly panicked.

Her eyebrow furrowed in concentration and she shook off his statement. "Oh, I know." She replied airily. "You seem more like the tough, confident, motorcycle girl type."

He almost laughed at how she had gotten everything right except the girl part. If only she knew who that description really matched. "Then why exactly have you cornered me into an empty corridor?" He inquired, bemusedly.

Jackie took a deep breath and finally spat it out. "I know that you're a werewolf." She confessed in a rush. She was twisting her hands nervously and her curls seemed to frizz up at the sudden angry energy radiating out from Remus when he heard those words leave her mouth.

"Who told you? Was it Sirius?" He hissed in a poisonous voice that didn't belong to the usually gentle boy. Remus immediately regretted having ever told any of the marauders about his lycanthropy.

Jackie backed away from him and held her hands in the air in what looked like a sign of surrender. "No! Of course, it wasn't Sirius." She yielded. "I figured it out on my own. No one told me."

"Oh you're just so clever, aren't you Harmon?" He mocked his voice laced with pure rage. "Do you even realize what this will do to me? I am ruined now." He rubbed his face with his hands in frustration.

"What? No, I'm not going to tell anyone." She implored. "I wanted you to know that I had figured so that you'd have someone to talk to if you needed it." She tried to reach out and pat his arm comfortingly, but he slapped her hand away in annoyance.