chapter five

IT HAD BEEN only a week since Jackie's eventful nights spent in the hospital wing

....IT HAD BEEN only a week since Jackie's eventful nights spent in the hospital wing. Once Madam Pomfrey was convinced that she didn't have a resulting concussion, she was thankfully allowed to leave. Unfortunately, Jackie had made no further advancements with discovering what exactly had been going on.

She knew intuitively that something was wrong with Remus. It was obvious in the way that his friends stood around him like the Knights of the Round Table, just waiting for something to happen that they would need to protect him from.

Sirius would catch her eye in the halls and smile triumphantly, pleased to know something that she didn't. It infuriated her something rotten, and she would not rest until she found out their little secret. The library had shown up nothing yet and so the only solution would be to wait it out and pounce when they didn't cover their tracks well enough.

Her little visit to Pomfrey had also gained her a troublesome little shadow. Regulus Black had taken to following her around and not in a lovable lost puppy way. He would walk her to and from classes, his eyes boring into everyone that passed, flashing them a look of pure danger as if daring them to interfere with his protective fussing.

Jackie thought he was being ridiculous. She had hit her head, not been kidnapped, and held for ransom. His most vicious glares were directed solely at the little marauder gang and she could practically see the gears turning in his head, planning the most painful interrogation about the situation possible. Jackie would not reveal anything about that night but he knew better.

"Black, how much longer are you planning on keeping me on a leash?" Jackie asked as he met her for the third time that week to walk her to Potions.

"Not a leash in sight." Regulus replied holding out his empty hands sarcastically at her.

"No, I mean the evanescent leash that seems to have made you follow me around this past week." She huffed, rolling her eyes in his direction.

"So sure of yourself, aren't you Jacqueline?" He tutted, her eye rolling only making him want to rile her up more. "Don't flatter yourself. Not everyone is obsessed with you." He tried to tell her this playfully, but it just sounded moody rolling off his tongue.