chapter nineteen

REGULUS WAS FROZEN

...REGULUS WAS FROZEN. His legs were glued to the floor and his arms were still stiffly tucked into his pockets. This couldn't be real. She thought him to be nothing more than her friend. She had said as much many times before. But yet her lips were still on his. And it was heavenly.

And then suddenly they weren't. She had pulled away and now she was looking at him with wide shocked eyes. She was overthinking it, he could tell from the way her mouth parted in surprise, the disbelief of her own actions clouding her angelic expression. His lips felt cold without hers against them.

Jackie backed away and held up her hands guiltily. She stared at the floor as her cheeks dusted pink. "Oh god, I shouldn't have done that." She stammered out, her voice an odd disjointed pitch. "I'm sorry. That was so stupid." She muttered on, more to herself than to him. She must have taken his shock as disinterest. But he could not be anymore interested. She turned to run out in her embarrassment and that was what broke him out of his frozen state. He wasn't letting her out of his grasp this time.

He took her by the arm and pulled her back to him swiftly. Her long curls cast a gust of air across his face and it fanned her signature scent towards him, talcum powder and jasmine perfume, just like always. He slid a palm up to grip the rosy side of her cheek, the tips of his fingers disappearing into the tawny hair on the nape of her neck. His other hand held onto her waist tightly, possessively. His thumb brushed again her hipbone as he pulled her body forwards to press against his.