chapter thirty-four

HIS FISTED HANDS were shaking

....HIS FISTED HANDS were shaking. That was the first thing that Regulus realized when he calmed down enough to take in his surroundings. Inside his tightly clenched fist was a letter that he had received from Lucius Malfoy less than ten minutes ago.

He was glad that he had taken his letter outside with him when the post had arrived this morning. If he hadn't, the bright red spark of light that had involuntarily sprung from his wand might have collided with a passerby.

"Dear Regulus,

While on a venture into Diagon Alley this afternoon, I had the displeasure of spotting your future betrothed on the arm of a certain Sirius Black.

As you know, his blood traitor status leaves him ranking among lowly Muggles and Mudbloods alike. The scandal of a future Black wife caught in a passionate embrace with such scum would surely disgrace the Noble House of Black more than it can redeem itself from.

You would do well to ensure your investments are kept on a shorter leash if you wish to keep both your dignities intact. I trust you will take care of this matter without needing any further involvement from my part.

Signed,
Lucius Abraxas Malfoy."

The letter had made him sick to his stomach. Firstly from the way he had talked about Jackie as if she were a piece of his property. And then a second wave of nausea hit when he fully comprehended what this all meant.

Sure, Lucius could be lying, as was customary of any man of loose morals and a manipulative nature. Malfoy certainly possessed both of those traits in abundance. But deep down he knew the letter wasn't a trick or a lie. It was just easier to try to convince himself it wasn't real than it was to accept hard, cruel facts.

This was not good. He was a Death Eater now and Jackie despised him for it. He shouldn't care if she had been kissing his brother in Diagon Alley. He should've quit while he was still emotionally intact and given up on her. But something solid and sure and frightening didn't allow him to.