22 | taking leave

—PACKING UP TO LEAVE WAS HARDER THAN I THOUGHT IT'D BE.

I tried my best to stay stoic and unmoved by what was happening, but the moment Winta hugged me, I knelt down and engulfed her in a bone-crushing hug. I glanced to Mando who watched me carefully. He nodded to me, telling me that he would give me a moment.

"I don't want you to go." She cried as I broke away from her and wiped her tears with my cloak.

"It'll be all right, my young friend." I said with a smile as I dug into my bag to retrieve my communicator. I activated it and handed it to the young girl, Winta taking it curiously and looking at the old Republic emblem it projected.

"This is a communicator. If the need arises, tap the button and it'll notify my communicator when you want to talk to me. It'll record a transmission so whatever you want to say, record yourself and send it."

Winta hugged me again before I stood up and approached Mando and Cara. I tossed my satchel onto the tram along with Mando's belongings. I turned to face Cara and we shook hands.

"It was a pleasure meeting and fighting with you." She said and I nodded, still not comfortable with lying to her about who I am.

"Same here." I said with a small grin.

"Take of the kid and Mando for me. He tends to do stupid things."

"I'm literally right here."

Cara and I laughed together before I started to walk away to get in the tram. The kid cooed at me, sadness in his tone as he glanced from me to the kids of the village. I gently rubbed my thumb over his wrinkled head to comfort him.

"Hey, Asa!"

I turned to face Cara again, but I noticed she had a hint of recognition in her eyes. I kept my face blank as panic rose in my chest.

"You remind me of General Organa and her brother, Luke Skywalker."

Mando glanced to me, watching me carefully as I smiled weakly.

"How so?"

"I think it's the eyes." Cara said, gesturing to own face to show her point. "Leia always had piercing eyes and you remind me of her. As for her brother, it's the charisma and the gentleness you have."

Without another word, I hopped into the tram and Mando went to the front to pull it along, leaving the village and Cara behind us.

~*~

*NOTE*
and i oop! sorry it's a bit short but i'll be getting to the good stuff when they're on tatooine. stay tuned for that!

see ya in the next update ;)

2022 NOTE: ignore the past the comments to this part. i changed the dream completely to fit the edited storyline i'm doing for this book.