10 | the mudhorn

—I HAD NO IDEA WHERE WE WERE GOING

I begrudgingly followed the Mandalorian down the dusty path to the cave where a Mudhorn resided. The child cooed in his pod as I trudged beside him, my fingers gently brushing his floppy ears. I tried to communicate with him through his thoughts but he was guarded and...was he terrified of me? Maybe it was because of my hotheadedness or the fact my eyes turn colors when I'm angry? Whatever it was, I didn't want the kid to be afraid of me.

The Mandalorian held up his hand, telling me to stop. I watched him walk into a cave ahead of us, mud sloshing under his boots and under mine. I removed my lightsabers and twisted them back together as I kept my eyes on the cave entrance. My finger was placed on the button to ignite it.

"You think he'll get the egg?" I asked the kid who watched with me closely.

Blaster shots went off and the Mandalorian was thrown out of the cave. If it wasn't a serious situation, I would have laughed.

I stepped forward, my lightsaber igniting to reveal the long red beams of energy. The Mudhorn emerged from its den, roaring angrily as it eyed my red weapon. I pushed the child's pod back when it charged, its large feet splattering mud everywhere and shaking the ground. I ran at it and swiped my lightsaber at its face, the red blade singeing the mossy, slimy hair of the Mudhorn. It swung its head to the side, roaring and charging me down. I felt the creature's teeth grab my shoulder before it threw me across the muddy clearing, my body landing right on top of something hard. My lightsaber flew out of my hand and was buried under the mud.

"You had to land on me!" I heard the Mandalorian grunt beneath me. He pushed me off and we stumbled to stand. I rolled my shoulder, cringing from the smell of the Mudhorn's saliva and the bruising.

"Oh, shut up." I snapped before we turned our attentions to the Mudhorn. I opened my hand and focused on where my lightsaber could be. The tugging feeling in my arm told me it was being loosened from the mud.

"Where's your weapon?" Mando asked as he pulled out a knife. I noticed his beskar was destroyed and his weapons were lost.

"Working on it."

But I highly doubted I could get my saber back before the Mudhorn charged. I glanced to where the child's pod was, his hands outstretched toward us. I frowned but flinched when the Mudhorn roared and charged toward Mando and I. He got down on one knee, his knife outstretched in front of him. At the last second my lightsaber flew into my muddy hands and I ignited one end. Just as I turned and readied to swing, I froze in confusion as I watched what happened.

The Mudhorn hovered a few feet in the air, the creature shrieking from not knowing what was happening. Mando spun to face me, his head tilted to question me. I shook my head and showed him that I was holding my lightsaber. That was when I realized who was doing this.