26 | only hope

—A DISTURBANCE IN THE FORCE BROUGHT BROUGHT ME OUT OF MY MEDITATION.

I stood up from the floor of the Crest and walked down the opened ramp, my rapid steps thudding loudly and catching Peli's attention. The Child, who sat on top a crate, turned to look at me as well.

"What is it?" Peli asked, her brows furrowed as I drew one of my lightsabers but didn't ignite it.

"Something's wrong. I have a bad feeling the Mandalorian won't be the one returning first."

The Child whimpered at my words but I gave him a reassuring smile. Didn't want to freak him out more than he already was.

"He is not dead, little one."

He calmed down but he was still on edge. As for Peli, she scooped the kid up and held him to her chest protectively.

"What do you mean Mando won't return first?"

"It's that stupid asshat, Toro. I sensed his change in the Force and he's coming back. As for Mando, I...I can sense his frustration."

I wasn't going to mention the intense jealously he had along with his other emotions. The idea of Mando being jealous of Toro because the rookie flirted or tried to hit on me made me blush darkly. In fact, no man has ever gotten like this with me at all.

I perked up when I heard a speederbike power down outside. I turned to Peli, silently telling her to go hide with the kid while I dealt with Toro. I stepped inside the Crest and crouched behind a crate, watching as the zone door opened and, just like I sensed, Toro came strutting in by himself.

"Where's the party? Kids are allowed in so there's no need to hide Mando's son?" Toro called out as he spread his arms out from either side of him. I glared at him from my spot in the Crest.

"Mando wanted me to go on ahead." Toro continued to call out but I knew he was lying. "Said he wanted me to make sure Ace and the kid were all right."

Ace... Why did my blood boil when I heard him call me that?

As he walked away from the door and disappeared from view I stood up and quickly walked out, igniting my lightsaber and swinging at him. He managed to get out of the way in the last second but I singed his vest.

"Only Mando calls me Ace. No one else!" I growled as I grabbed and ignited my other saber. I then got into a fighting position, both lightsabers twisted together to make my weapon double sided.

"So Shand was right." Toro mused, a smirk on his face as he eyed my lightsabersin awe. "You're Darth Axcia."

Darth Axcia...executor...murderer...betrayer...

Whispers of the Dark overpowered my senses as Toro stalked toward me. I held my lightsaber to his neck, eyes narrowed and body rigid.

"I wouldn't come any closer if I were you."

"Where's the kid?"

"I don't know."

Toro advanced again, blasters in hand as I backed away, lightsabers drawing closer to his body.

"Asa, I don't want to hurt you. Where's the kid?"

"Go to hell."

Toro stopped for a moment, lip jutting out in a feigned pout before he lifted his leg and kicked me in the stomach. The attack caught me off guard, but I quickly regained my composure and blocked every shot from his blasters with my lightsabers. I ran at him, swinging and using the Force to make him stumble. He raised his blaster to shoot, but when the bolt was shot, it stopped in the air. I held my hand up, the bolt inches away from my palm.

"Impressive." Toro commented as I sent the bolt at him. He dodged it and raised his other blaster, but I held out my hand and curled my fingers as if I was physically choking him.

Toro grimaced as I put more pressure on his neck, fingers beginning to curl into a fist. If I managed to make my hand into a fist, I could break his neck.

"Yeah, I think it's impressive too. There are so many things one can do with the Force: create life, make object levitate with your mind, summon object to you if they are out of reach. But what of the dark?"

I squeezed his neck harder, Toro's face turning a darker red. I felt a sadistic grin spread across my face as I neared him. He clawed at his neck with one hand but it was in vain. Nothing can make a force-choke disappear.

"What can the dark do? Or, most importantly, what can I do to you?

Before I could make the final motion to break his neck, a blaster went off and I gasped in shock. I unknowingly released my hold on Toro and he inhaled as much oxygen as he could. I stumbled back, my hand hovering over the burned flesh and oozing blood which had begun to soak my black tank top. I refused to make any pained expression for Toro. I wouldn't give that satisfaction.

"That tickled a little." I said with a wry chuckle as I watched him approach me.

He grabbed my face harshly and looked into my eyes.

"The Guild will welcome me back with open arms now. I'll be the one known for killing Darth Axcia, Vader's only daughter. So, Ace, thank you for giving me this opportunity."

A cry from the workshop grasped his attention and I closed my eyes, sighing in defeat as the child gave away his and Peli's hiding spot.

"And thank you for keeping the kid here for me."

I couldn't respond since Toro's blaster connected with my jaw and I crumpled to the ground, my wound burning from the dust and sand irritating it. As I slipped quickly into unconsciousness completely, I heard Peli's horrified gasp and the child crying out for me.

Mando...you're my only hope now for protecting the kid...