Chapter 9: Endless questions

Sitting at the living room table, Pan sighed and rubbed his face with his hands, unable to let go of that frustrating question.

What the bloody hell was going on?? Olivia had died years ago, and now there stood this... completely identical image of her. Different name, different life.... someone else, in one word.

"Here" Felix handed him a glass of alcohol.

"I don't understand."Pan murmured. "I don't bloody understand what kind of sorcery this is."

"I know it's pretty complicated-"

"Complicated?!"Pan repeated standing up and glaring at his friend
"Olivia is dead. And now she reappeared in the human world with no memories of anything that's happened and no knowledge whatsoever of what she's capable of. After 30 years??! Sounds pretty fucked up to me"he growled taking a sip from his drink.

"Look I get that it's hardly believable but this is all we've got. Plus you can't deny there isn't something fishy about that Sam girl. And she got into some sort of accident and lost all her memories? Don't you think that's a bit convenient?"

"I know that Felix, I don't-"

"You just refuse to believe it"Felix sighed "And I get it. Olivia dying was already something and if it's not her this time it could be like losing her a second time."

"Exactly."

Taking a sip from his whisky, Pan flared at the void in front of him before turning to his best friend.

"She's not even mine anymore. I've lost her in every way a person can be lost."

"But say that it's not forever..."Felix attempted, ignoring the warning look on Pan's face. "Isn't it worth it? Gaining her back?"

"What if it's not her?"

"Then we'll know for a fact that this is not Olivia walking right under our noses instead of wondering for eternity what it could have been like finding her again."

Pan looked away with a sigh.

"You're right. Let's at least try."

Sending him a soft smile Felix finished his drink and set it back on the table.

"Come on, we have a lunch with our probably lost girl tomorrow. Let's put on our best faces and be there for her as we should."

_________

The doorbell rang and Sam broke the kiss, turning to the door with a breathless "they're here."

"One last kiss baby"

"No, we have to greet our friends-"she protested playfully but Alex grinned cheekily and captured her lips with his kissing her passionately.

Sam pulled away and slapped his chest.

"You cheat. Now let me go"she wiggled from his grasp and stood up, flustered and disheveled. She set her clothes right and patted her hair straight before sending a playful glare towards her boyfriend.

"Behave"she whispered and made her way to the door that she opened wide, grinning at the two boys on the other side of it.

"Hey guys!"she greeted joyfully before stepping aside. "Come in, come in."

"Hello Sam" Pan said softly catching her attention.

"Hey" Felix greeted with an awkward wave.

"Hi guys come in!" Alex called out in a friendly way.

"Lunch is ready" Sam said gently.

Sitting at the table, Pan had trouble keeping his eyes off the young girl, spotting every language or physical habits of hers, comparing them with Olivia's.