Chapter 8: Just friends

Blinding light suddenly succeeded to utter darkness and his eyes screwed shut in order not to get blinded by those arriving directly into his cornea.

After a few attempts and his sight finally clearing, the young man blinked a few times and shifted to the side, his hands reaching to rub his face and eyes, waking himself up better, before finally opening them completely and sitting up.

His fingers curled around the oxygen tube under his nose, that he pulled off and after he managed to tear off the blood perfusion in his right arm, he swung his legs off the bed and exited the room to find the nurse who just happened to be at the door and her eyes widened at his appearance. She frowned and scolded him.

"Alex, what are you doing here, you should be resting! Where is your oxygen? And why did you take your drip out? Again?"

The young man waved her off, asking quickly.

"What happened to me? I thought I was getting better?? And where's Christine? "

"Why don't you get inside your room, I'll go and get the doctor and Christine if you wish, just please go back to bed."

The young man shook his head as though to push the headache away, to no avail however and he nodded his head, tottering back to his room. The hospital corridor color hurt his eyes but he found himself soon enough back in bed.

He checked the date and realized he had spent three days at the hospital. Refusing to sleep however, he sat himself up, and his hand grabbed the picture on his night table. A small smile appeared on his face as he traced on the beloved face.

"I miss you."he whispered sadly only to flinch when the door burst open to reveal the presence and entry of two young people about the same age as him, one had dirty blonde hair and a impressive scar across the face, the other one had darker hair with deep forest green eyes . Both boys shut the door as Alex frowned.

"Hello, may I help you?"

"Hi, my name's Felix " the dirty blonde haired one spoke up before motioning for the guy standing next to him. "And this is my friend...."he seemed to hesitate a second until the brunette boy whispered. "Chris, I've always loved that name." Felix stared at him blankly before turning back to Alex and speaking up with a tight smile hiding a bigger grin.

"Ubaldo."

Pan jumped and opened wide eyes, turning to his friend and trying to mutter words of disapproval and insults but Felix only grinned at Alex, internally laughing his head off until Pan jumped in.

"Actually, his name is not Felix, it's Eustace, he just doesn't like it so he pretends to be called Felix."

This time it was Felix's turn to choke and elbow his friend, making faces while Pan simply kicked him discreetly, grinning widely at the confused boy staring at them. Felix scowled and whispered insults under his breath.

"We just came here because we are actually looking for someone, and somehow, our research led us to you."

Alex nodded slowly before motioning for them to sit. Felix grabbed Pan's arm and whispered through gritted teeth. "Eustace??? Really?? Was that the best you had??"

Pan scoffed and rolled his eyes. "Yeah coz Ubaldo really brings out my cool side. Honestly I'm not a middle aged peasant."

Felix gave him a Cheshire cat grin and wiggled his eyebrows, resulting in Pan rolling his eyes and protest.

"I was never a peasant at the time!"

"Mmh. Sure."

"Seriously??! I told you like five hundred times! I-"