Chapter 23- Way Down We Go

(A/N)- Grab your cuddle buddies and your tissues. The next two chapters are kind of sad. 😢

Third Person POV~

Lizzie woke up at dawn. Quietly leaving her room, she went to Lily's, only to find Alaric already there.

"She's still not awake?" the blonde asks in a low voice, making her father turn to her with worried eyes.

"None of them are."

After a moment of silence, Lizzie spoke again, "
Dad... It's been over a day since she died... What if-"

"Don't." Alaric says in a strained voice. "We don't need to think like that, Elizabeth. Not now."

Instead of responding, Lizzie stayed silent until the headmaster left the room.

The blonde took a seat on a chair close to the bed and let a few tears fall.

Taking a deep breath, Lizzie decided to do the thing no one in her family wanted to.

Typing in the familiar number and hitting call, she waited for the other person to pick up the other line.

And then they finally did.

"Mom?"

---------------------

"No. No. No." Caroline started repeating after she hung up the phone, tears pour in from her eyes as she sobbed in pure agony.

"Caroline? What's wrong?" Bonnie asks as she walks into the hotel room the two were staying in- in Italy.

"Lily's dead... My little girl's..." she couldn't finish her sentence.

"Hey, wait, Care. She's part vampire she's gonna come back, okay?" Bonnie said, thinking quickly. But Caroline only shook her head. "Lizzie told me she died on their birthday."

"-That was..."

"Almost two days ago Bonnie. And Lily hasn't woken up yet." with that, Caroline looked serious and she stood up. "Okay, I need flowers, and see about putting her body in the Salvatore family crypt and-"

Bonnie pried Caroline's phone from her and held her by the arms. "Caroline. Right now, we just need to go to your daughters."

This made the vampire shake her head as tears started to fall again. "Bonnie, I- I don't want to go home." Caroline started.

"Because, if I go home. And I see Lily dead, then that makes it real."

"Caroline-" Bonnie went to say something but her best friend stopped her.

"No Bonnie! My daughter is dead! My baby, Bonnie. I carried her in me for months, I gave birth to her, I raised her." Caroline paused as she shook her head trying to get her thoughts to not go to such a dark place, but it didn't work.

"She was supposed to grow up and have the life she wanted. She was supposed to be happy, and alive. And if she died she was supposed to come back."

Bonnie couldn't hold back her tears anymore. Seeing Caroline look so broken again hurt the Bennett witch. All Bonnie could do was bring the blonde into a much-needed hug as she balls her eyes out.