Chapter 21- Unforgettable Birthday

Lily's POV~

When I wake up, I see that Lizzie is already awake and just starting at the ceiling, so I do the same. After a few minutes, I finally speak, "Do you think today will be worse or better than last year? Because if it's anything like last year, I don't want to leave this room." at this, she sighs. "I can't imagine how it could get worse than you getting buried alive again Lil." she tells me before getting up and getting dressed.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Lizzie and I decided to be attached at the hip today so we sat next to each other as the assembly started.

"I know you are all worried. Believe me, no one is more worried than I am. My daughter Josie is still missing. But even as I speak, we're doing everything we can to find her. Jed and the wolves are attempting to track her. Kaleb and the vampires have compelled local police for any help they can provide. We will find her and bring her home. That said, I just want to reiterate, under no circumstances should any of you approach her. While she is our family and friend, she is under the influence of black magic and... Not herself. Your safety and Josie's is my top priority. I promise you, I will break through to her, and bring back the Josie we know and love safely. But first, we just have to find her."

At the end of Alaric's very long and can I say, depressing speech, the big doors open, making us all turn to them. And then we see Josie, looking... Dark. "I'm right here, dad." she says and then basically flies down the stairs. "That's a neat trick." I whisper and get slapped by Lizzie, "Lily! Now is not the time." she says and I mumble a small sorry.

"Well don't look so shocked. Did you really think I would miss my birthday?" Josie says and then glances towards Lizzie and I. "Oh, I'm sorry. Our birthday." Josie corrects herself and tucks a piece of hair behind both of our ears, making me grab her wrist. But when I do, my hand starts to burn, "Ow!" I yell and pull my hand away fast and watch the burn heal. "So... What did I miss?" she asks completely ignoring Lizzie and I, which I think is kind of a good thing.

--------------------------------------------------------------

"How are you today? I know that last year was kind of rough, you know with your dad and all." Hope asks me as we walk to the main part of the school. "Um, I... Don't really know. You know with everything that's been going on I think I'm still processing that it's my birthday..." and then I pause, not sure if I want to say what I'm thinking, but Hope, knowing me probably more than I know myself right now, sees that I still have something on my mind. "But..." she says, encouraging me to continue, so I do.

"But even with everything going on, more so, in fact, with everything going on, I'm... A little more than shocked that my mom isn't here. I know the last time I saw her, or even spoke to her, I didn't leave on good terms but you'd think that after being stuck with a serial killer in a prison world, and this whole thing with Josie, and today being our birthday that she'd come home at least for the day." And when I finish, we see Josie hugging MG, but when I see he starts to desiccate, Kaleb and I speed over and pull him away.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" Kaleb yells at my sister as he pulls MG away and I stay in between the vampires and my sister. "Oh wait your turn, Kaleb. Plenty of hugs to go around. Right, Lily?" Josie says and before I can process what she said, I'm pulled into a hug, but I can feel her siphoning me too. "Jo... Josie stop, that hurts." I say and try to pull away. I can hear Kaleb and Hope trying to get Josie to let go, but then everything goes black.