Chapter Nine

Ryder, Marshall, Skye, and Rubble drove down the road. As they drove, they were watching the sun. It barely came up two hours ago, but they were still worried about the time. Skye was in her helicopter above the others. She turned her head left and right, looking for a sign, but sadly, she couldn’t find one. But she wouldn’t give up though. She kept searching. Ten minutes later, she noticed something coming in their direction.

“Hey, Ryder,” she said. “Something is heading in our direction further down the road.

“Can you identify what it is?” he asked.

Skye used her binoculars to zoom in to the object. “It’s...it’s Chase’s cop cruiser,” she replied. “But no one is in it. And it’s going backward.”

It must be placed on neutral, Ryder thought. He ordered Marshall and Rubble to get off the road. When they were off the road, Ryder pulled a rope out of a compartment on his ATV. He tied the rope to two trees on either side of the road. Once he was sure that it was secure, he got out of the way. A minute later, the cop cruiser came into view. Ryder didn't know if the rope was going to be strong enough to hold the cruiser, but fortunately, it was. The cruiser came in contact with the rope and halted to a stop. When it stopped, Ryder reached his hand into the vehicle and took it off neutral. Skye landed her helicopter close by and jumped out to meet up with Ryder and the others.

"What do you think, Ryder?" Skye asked.

"It must have occurred when it crashed with the cinder blocks," Ryder replied. He checked the front of the vehicle. There was a dent in the corner and the left light was shattered, but that was the only damage it had.

Ryder called Rocky through his pup pad. "Rocky, we found Chase"s cruiser, but it got damaged a bit. Can you come by and fix the damage?" Ryder asked.

"You know I can," the mixed breed responded. Ten minutes later, Rocky pulled up in his green recycling truck and he got straight to work. He entered the back of his vehicle and pulled out a headlight. "Don't lose it, reuse it."

"Ok, thanks." He looked over at the others. "Let's find out where it came from. If we find out where it came from, we will be able to find Chase faster." All of them, except Rocky, hopped into their vehicles and sped off down the road once again.

They drove for roughly twenty minutes when they stopped. The road in front of them split in two, going around a mountain.

"The cruiser could have come from either road," Ryder thought aloud.

"Then let's split up," Marshall suggested.

Ryder shook his head. "We don't know a lot about these mountains. If something happens, the others won't be able to help. We have to stick together and stay close."

Marshall sighed. "Okay, but which road do we go down first?"

Ryder looked at the roads. Both had tracks that looked similar to the other, so he wouldn't be able to find out that way. He reached in his pocket and took out a coin. He flipped the coin and let it settle on the ground. It spun in the ground for a solid five seconds before it stopped. The coin was standing vertically on the ground, so Ryder had to flip the coin again. This time, the coin landed on tails.

Ryder extended his arm out towards the trail on his left. "We go left," Ryder called out. They started going down the road, looking for any clues. They didn't find any, so they kept on going forward. The trail twisted and turned in multiple different ways, so they had to keep a moderately slow pace to make sure they didn't drive off the edge and to make sure they don’t miss anything. An hour passed, then two hours with no luck. A third hour rolled around and they still didn’t find any clues as to where he was.

Ryder looked down the road, which stretched out for miles around the mountains and into the desert. He stopped and the others stopped as well. "Let's get off here and see if we find him." After that, Rocky called Ryder and informed him that the cruiser was repaired. Ryder thanked him and told him to drive it up the mountain to them. A half-hour later, Rocky appeared in Chase's cop cruiser, which has now turned into the spy cruiser.

"Thanks, Rocky," Ryder exclaimed as he approached the cruiser.

"You're welcome, Ryder," Rocky replied. 

Ryder ran up to the back part of the spy cruiser and pressed a button. When he did, a stand and a monitor appeared. On the top of the cruiser, an arm popped out holding a long cylinder.

He pressed a green button that had a power sign on it. The drone shouts out and grew wings on either side and a propeller. The drone circled Ryder and the cruiser, waiting for orders. Ryder called the pups over.

“Which one of you wants to control the drone?” he asked.

“Can I, Ryder?” Marshall asked.

“Of course,” Ryder replied. He backed away from the controls and Marshall got onto the stand in front of the monitor. Marshall had used the drone before and understood how the controls work. He also thought that it was fun to control the drone. He sent the drone off into the woods to search for its original owner.

“Okay, Marshall and Rubble will stay here while me and Rocky search from the ground and Skye from above,” Ryder explained. He and Rocky walked off into the woods. Skye entered her helicopter and took off.

They searched for half an hour before reuniting back at the vehicles. “Okay, so since we know that he is not here, we are going to search closer to Adventure Bay. We will be checking section by section.” They searched and searched but to no avail. Rocky slipped on a rock and fell into a cold river. Ryder was stung by a bee but he knew how to get the stinger off without injecting the poison into his arm. Skye, while searching near a cave, got surrounded by panicked bats before they moved on. Marshall slipped off the stand, and though he didn’t get hurt, he accidentally pressed a button and set the drone into a bush. Time passed by quickly and the sun began to set.

“Let’s return to the Lookout,” Ryder said.

“But we haven’t found Chase yet?” Skye exclaimed.

“I know, but as much as I hate it, we won’t be able to help much in the dark.”

“Can I search for a little while longer?”

Ryder noticed the plead in Skye’s eyes. He understood that it meant a lot for her to find Chase. She wanted to find him as soon as possible and to make sure that is fine.

“Okay, but only for twenty minutes,” Ryder said. “Rocky, Marshall, Rubble, let’s go.” As Ryder and the others drove back to the Lookout, Skye got back in her helicopter. 

She looked down at her right. On her side was a dark blue police hat with a golden start on it. She grabbed Chase’s hat and held it close. It still had his smell, and somehow, his aura. She felt secure and protected, the way she did when Chase was close. She remembered them playing in the park together, touching each other’s nose in a game of tag. She smiled at the memory. She opened her eyes, put the hat on her lap, and took for the sky.