Chapter Eighteen (Final)

Chase ran after Skye. "Skye, wait," he called. He grabbed her by the wrist to prevent her from leaving. "Skye, please, stay here."

Skye turned around. She looked into Chase's amber eyes. "Why do you want me here?" Skye asked. "Why would you want me to stay?"

"Because I...I..." Chase stuttered. Skye stayed quiet but still stared at him, waiting for an answer. "I don't want to be alone," Chase finally said.

Skye was a bit sad about this answer, but she agreed to stay. As they walked back to the cliff, CHase regretted backing out at the last second. He mentally palmed his forehead. He knew he had to tell her his feelings tonight. It was his last chance. Not yet, he chided himself. All you were able to do right now was have her stay. The night is still young. You will get your chance.

They sat down in silence overlooking the bay. They wanted to talk to each other, but they didn't know what to say. At last, Skye was the one to break the silence. "Sorry," she said.

"Sorry?" Chase asked. "What for?"

"For trying to leave. I know you don't want to be alone, but I guess my feelings got in the way and I felt like I had to leave."

"And you feel like you have to apologize? Skye, there is no need to apologize. Your feelings are a part of you. You can't change who you are."

"I know, Chase, but here's the thing: I thought I lost you, Chase. Ever since that night that you saved me, you have taken care of me, looked after me, and been an awesome friend. The thought of losing you was too hard for me to handle. And now, having you here by my side. I don't know, Chase, but I still feel like you might disappear, and this time you won't come back." A tear rolled down her cheek.

Chase noticed this and felt like his heart was about to shatter. He put on a warm smile and used his paw to wipe her tears away. "Skye, come here," he said. Skye moved in closer to Chase. "Look, Skye, I'm not going anywhere. I am going to stay right here for as long as you need. And I promise that it is not going to change any time soon. I am here for you Skye. Always have been and always will be." Chase put his arm around Skye and Skye held onto his paw. She felt that if she were to let go, he would leave. She sniffled.

"Thanks, Chase, that's why I love you," she said.

Chase was caught off guard by this. Did she say she loves me? "You what?"

Skye realized too little too late what had come out of her mouth. At the moment, she didn't think about it, it had just escaped her mouth. She let go of Chase's paw. "I...Well...Chase, I kinda do," she confessed. "But how can I not? Chase, you're the greatest pup I have ever met. You're brave, strong, handsome, and smart. Everything I ever looked for in a pup. You don't fear anything and you face everything to save others. I have seen you do things that others wouldn't even dare to do, and you did them with ease. Chase, you're amazing." She looked at him with a frown, but what met with a warm smile. It was the same smile she had fallen in love with. The smile told her that everything was going to be okay.

"Skye, I can't believe you love me," Chase said.

"Oh, I'm sorry," she said, getting up to leave once again. "I didn't mean to..."

"No, Skye, you have it all wrong," Chase interrupted. He got in front of her so she couldn't leave. "I wasn't turning you down. I was going to tell you that I felt the same way. I have felt this way ever since I first laid eyes on you. I didn't know it then, but I do now. Skye, I love you."

"Why would you love me? I am the smallest of the pups. I'm scared of a dumb bird. I am the complete opposite of you. I am not perfect, Chase, and you deserve the best."