Chapter Fourteen

Chase and Ryder moved the Cash, who was still unconscious, away from the trap. Cash was a big man, so it took a while to move him far enough away from the trap. They leaned him against a tree while he was still tied up.

Ryder knelt as he examined the trap. There were some rips and tears from how Cash was struggling. “It may sustain one more of them, but not both of them,” Ryder informed Chase.

“Okay, I’m gonna go see what is going on?” Chase said. He snuck back over to the cabin where Cassie and Leo were. He stayed out of sight as he listened to their conversation.

“It has been twenty minutes since Cash has gone out,” Cassie stated.

“He’s probably on his way back,” Leo said.

“I don’t know. He should have been back by now.”

Leo thought about it. She had a point. “Okay, go check outside for him.”

“Why me? You go. I don’t want to go out there. It’s freezing.”

“It’s free…? You know what? Fine. I’ll go. Stay here.”

“Wasn’t planning on going anywhere.” 

Chase hid behind a pile of logs as Leo exited the cabin. 

He had short brown hair and brown hair. He had a white streak of hair on the side of his head. He wore a white button-down shirt with the sleeves rolled up and a black vest over it. He wore black jeans and black dress shoes. On his middle finger of his left hand, he wore a stainless steel ring with a black stone in the middle and a silver watch on his wrist. “Not even cold out here,” he muttered to himself. He searched around for his friend. “Cash!!” he called out. “Cash, where you at?!” He noticed Cash tied up against the tree. “Cassie, come out here.”

“Why, what’s so important?” she complained.

“Now!!”

“Ugh fine,” Cassie said. She walked out of the cabin. She wore a grey sweater and grey skinny jeans. She had blacks high tops on. She wore a beanie over her long blonde hair, which was pulled back in a ponytail. She wore a necklace with a magenta heart pendant. “What?”

“I…” Leo stopped when he noticed the necklace. He smirked at Cassie. “Couldn’t help yourself?”

Cassie held the pendant in her hand as she looked at it. “It’s just too pretty not to take it.”

Leo shook his head. “Anyways, follow me. Cash needs our help.” He ran off towards Cash, completely missing the german shepherd.

“Hopefully, I won’t ruin my hair,” Cassie said as she stroked her hair. She ran after Leo with Chase following them.

Leo kept running towards Cash. “Cash, how did you get stuck? Don’t worry, I’m going to get you ou…” Leo’s sentence was cut short when he stepped on the trap. Immediately, the trap was triggered and the net caught Leo by his feet. It didn’t function like it was supposed to, but it still trapped Leo. He was dangling by his feet with his arms swaying above, or rather below, his head.

Cassie tried to stop after seeing that Leo was caught, but Chase was going too fast behind her. He didn’t have enough time to stop, so he collided with her. She fell to her knees, her hands in the mud. “Ugh,” she grunted, disgusted. She looked behind her back and noticed Chase. He shook off the dizziness and got in a defensive position with his net cannon ready, implying that she wasn’t going to run away. She raised her hands over her hands.

Ryder came by and tied her hands together with some extra rope that he had. He took her to the cabin. She sat down on one of the chairs. Chase guarded the door as Ryder went back to grab the others. There was a thump coming from outside, followed by a grunt from Leo. Ryder returned with Leo and sat him down on another chair and left to grab the last guy.

Leo looked up at Chase. “This reminds me, what happened to Jack?”

Chase tilted his head to the question. “Who?”

“The other guy, the one you stopped at the museum,” Leo clarified.

“Oh, him. He’s fine. You’ll see him again soon enough.” Ryder came back with Cash. Cash was twice the size of Ryder, but he still let himself be led to the chair. Ryder tied their legs to the chairs so they wouldn’t go anywhere.

Something on one of the tables caught his attention. He walked over to pick it up. “Hey Chase, look what I found.” He showed Chase what he had in his hand. It was Chase’s old collar. The top piece was broken and the inside gadgets were visible. The small lightbulb that lit up the pup tag when Chase got a call was turned on, but it didn’t shine as bright as it used to.

“I don’t have any pockets, so can you take care of it for me?” Chase asked.

“You want to keep it?” Ryder asked.

Chase shrugged. “I could keep it as a memoir to remind me of the mission, who knows?”

“Okay, Chase, sure thing.” Ryder put the broken collar carefully in his pocket. “You want to grab your vehicle while I watch these guys?”

“Okay, Ryder, sir,” Chase said. “Be back in a sec.”

Chase ran towards his cruiser and hopped in. He turned on the engine and drove towards the cabin. He parked in front of the door. “Okay, now you can go get yours if you want.” Ryder nodded and took off. A minute later, he returned with his ATV. Chase was examining the jewelry. He had taken back the necklace that Cassie wore around her neck and placed it with the others.

“What do you want to do with them?” Ryder asked.

“Well, we have to take all this jewelry back to the museum, where it belongs.”

“I was referring to the thieves. We don’t have a jail in Adventure Bay to hold them in.”

Chase thought about it. “How about your dad, Chief Justin. I’m sure they have enough space at Adventure City for the four of them (I felt like using a reference to the upcoming Paw Patrol movie).”

“I will give him a call,” Ryder said. He took out his pup pad and clicked on his dad’s contact information. 

The phone started ringing and in a matter of seconds, Justin answered. “Chief Justin here,” he said.

“Hey, dad, it’s me, Ryder,” Ryder replied.

“Ryder, son, how are you?”

“I’m good dad, listen I have a question for you.” Ryder walked outside to finish the call. Two minutes later, he returned inside the cabin. “Okay, so they can’t come by until tomorrow. He asked if we can take everything to town.”

“That might take a while if it's just us,” Chase said.

“Chase!” someone said outside. Confused, Ryder and Chase walked outside. Marshall was driving extremely fast. He hit the brakes early, but the ambulance didn’t stop completely until it was a foot away from Chase and Ryder. Marshall jumped down and tackled Chase in a hug. “Chase, they found you. I thought I lost my brother forever. I am so glad to see that you are fine.”

Chase cleared his throat. “Happy to see you too,” Chase said. “Now loosen up a bit before I pass out, please.”

“Oh sorry,” Marshall apologized. He loosened his grip around Chase and Chase was able to hug Marshall back. “I thought I lost you, Chase. Please don’t ever do that again.”

Chase released him from Marshall’s grip and grabbed the dalmatian in a headlock and rubbed his paw against Marshall’s head. “Don’t worry, I am never planning on doing that. Especially if I have someone like you to wait for me to return. I’m not going anywhere, little brother.” Marshall laughed as he tried to get loose of Chase’s grip. Chase finally let him go.

“So, there are three people inside the cabin,” Ryder explained. “They might have gotten burnt or something from being caught. Can you give them a check-up?”

Marshall’s X-ray scanner appeared over Marshall’s head from his pup pack. “You know I can.”

“Okay, thanks. I am going to call in the rest of the pups to help take everything back to the Lookout.”