Chapter Eleven

Skye had spent a bit longer last night searching for Chase. She looked everywhere, but she couldn’t find him anywhere. She had not realized that she passed her time limit until an hour later. She returned to the Lookout and parked her helicopter in its designated location. She hopped off as her helicopter returned to its puphouse form. She entered her puphouse and rested on her bed. She had Chase’s hat on her head. The police hat was too big for her, so it tilted to the side, but she didn’t mind. Wearing the hat, she felt a blanket of protection covering her. She felt safe and strong with it on. Despite this, it was still only a fraction of how she felt with Chase around. He had this aura of protection and courage. 

She had noticed that it wasn’t only her that felt safe around Chase. The other pups also felt that aura. She remembered, one time, she heard about a mission where Marshall felt the same. Usually, after missions, the pups would talk about what happened during the mission to those that didn’t go. She remembered hearing how Chase, Marshall, and Ryder had to go save Jake from a cave and Marshall was frightened by the cave. When Chase came, Marshall stated that he wasn’t scared when Chase was around. Chase radiated courage more than any other pup. That was one of the millions of reasons why she cares so much for him.

She fell asleep with these thoughts. When she woke up, she realized that it was pretty late. She got up quickly and got dressed. She exited her puphouse and walked into the Lookout. Everyone was watching television. The pups turned to her and smiled.

“Good morning, Skye,” Ryder said. He was sitting fully dressed on the couch with the pup pad on his lap. The tablet displayed a map of the Adventure Bay area with places on the map crossed out, places where they have already looked.

“Good morning,” she replied. “How long was I out?”

“We all woke up two hours ago,” Zuma explained. “We heard that you were up late last night searching, so we decided not to wake you up just yet.”

“Thank you,” Skye commented. Zuma nodded and turned his head to the television. Skye discovered that her throat was dry and she had a bitter taste in her mouth. She looked over next to Everest and noticed her food and water bowls filled, ready for her. 

“Yeah, we had your breakfast ready,” Everest explained as she noticed that Skye was staring at her food. 

Skye walked over and sat down. She started drinking water from the bowl. It cleared her throat and removed the bitter taste from her mouth. “Thank you, Everest, I…” Skye stopped herself when she noticed something. Marshall was on the other side of Everest, watching the show. The two pups’ fur were touching and Everest her paw over Marshall’s paw. She whispered into Everest’s ear. “When were you going to tell me about that?” she asked, smirking.

Everest knew what Skye was referring to and blushed a light pink which was barely noticeable except for Skye. Her eyes opened wide. “Oh, we’re not...I was just...It’s not…” she stuttered. She didn’t move her paw though. Everest felt that if she moved her paw, it would get awkward for her to put in on his paw again. Of course, when she did it the first time, it was not on purpose, but she could care less. She was so close to Marshall that she felt so happy.

Skye noticed how embarrassed her best friend was. She didn’t want Everest to feel this way. “You two make a great couple,” she whispered.

“You think so,” Everest asked, whispering as well.

“I’m sure of it, I’m happy for you.”

“Thanks, Skye.” She turned to Marshall, who was hypnotized by the screen. She softly laughed at the fact that he didn’t hear a word, which caused Marshall to turn his head to her. He smiled at her, unsure why she laughed. He still loved to see her laugh. Marshall smiling caused her to smile back.