Chapter Twelve

Ryder, Rocky, and Rubble were looking for a sign that Skye was alright. Ryder had tried to call Skye through her pup tag, but her pup tag broke when she crashed into the tree. “Where could she be?” Ryder muttered to himself. He paced around the vehicles. There was a rustling noise in the nearby bushes. They all turned to notice Skye come out of the bushes and walk towards them. “Skye?!” Ryder said as he kneeled to hug the cockapoo. “Are you injured? What happened?”

“I’m fine, Ryder,” Skye said. “I would have gotten more injured if it wasn’t for him?”

Ryder tilted his head. “Who?” He looked up at his jaw dropped as he saw the german shepherd come out of the same bushes. “Chase?”

“Ryder!!” Chase exclaimed as he ran over to his owner. He held out his arms to receive Chase but was tackled by the pup instead. 

Ryder just laughed as Chase licked his cheeks. Ryder hugged him. “I missed you so much, Chase,” Ryder said.

“I missed you, too, Ryder, sir,” Chase responded as he got off the boy.

“Chase!” Rubble said as he and Rocky came over.

“Hey, how are you two?” he asked as he hugged them.

“We’re good, Chase,” Rocky replied. “And you?”

“I’m good, just got a small cut on my leg, but other than that, I’m fine.”

“From what you went through with the robbers, I would’ve thought you would have gotten more hurt,” Ryder said.

That reminded Chase of something. “That reminds me, we still have to go stop those guys and retrieve what they stole and stop them from causing any more trouble.”

Ryder frowned. “Chase, I don’t think that’s the best idea. For one, we just got you back. And for another, they must be gone for good by now.”

“Not exactly,” Chase said. “Remember when we heard about some abandoned cabins further down this way?”

“Yeah, but what about them.”

“I think they could be there. It is far enough from town and surrounded by forests. We have to stop them.”

Ryder pondered on the thought. He looked back at Chase. “You really think this is our best bet to find them.”

“I wouldn’t suggest it if I wasn’t sure. But just to be sure, and I’m wrong, we’ll just come right back. I can’t back out from a mission.”

“Okay, Chase, let’s go.”

“Thank you, Ryder, sir,” Chase said. Chase looked around and noticed his spy cruiser. Chase and Ryder got into their vehicles.

Rocky, Rubble, and Skye walked up to the side of the vehicles. “We want to help as well,” Rubble said. Rocky and Skye nodded in agreement.

Before Ryder could say anything, Chase said, “No, it’s too dangerous.” He looked over to the other vehicles and noticed one was missing. “Skye, where is your helicopter?”

“It wouldn’t start this morning,” Skye replied.

Chase thought. “Rocky, you can find out what’s wrong with it, right?”

“I could take a look at it,” Rocky said.

“Okay, you go do that. You three should go back to the Lookout. Call off all searches for me. Tell Zuma to return to the Lookout and Everest to return to Jake’s Cabin. Tell Marshall to come and catch up with us in his medical form and to be quiet.” Ryder couldn’t help but feel proud at how easily Chase was taking charge. He knew he chose the right pup to be second-in-command.