Chapter Thirteen

Chase and Ryder drove down the road towards the cabins. They drove as fast as they could. The sun was going to set in two hours. They saw the lights of the cabins ten minutes after the sun went down, which meant that someone was inside the cabin. They parked the vehicles in the woods away from the cabin. They didn’t want to risk whoever was inside the cabin to notice them.

Ryder called Marshall. “Marshall, come in,” he said softly.

“Marshall here,” Marshall replied. “Is it true that you found Chase?”

“Yes, Marshall, it is,” Chase said.

“Chase!!” Marshall said, a bit too loud. “They found you!!”

Chase hushed Marshall. “Try to keep your voice down, Marshall. We don’t want to get caught.”

“Oh, sorry,” Marshall apologized.

“It’s okay, Marshall, I’m also happy to hear your voice again. When are you going to catch up with us?”

“I’m not sure. I passed the two cinder blocks half an hour ago. So I think I’m halfway there.”

“Okay, when you get close, turn off your lights and come slowly. We parked our vehicles far away from the cabins. Park your truck near ours and sneak over to the cabin and search for us. Don’t get caught.”

“Will do, Chase, Marshall.” Marshall hung up the call.

“Okay, let’s get going,” Ryder said.

They snuck over to the side of the nearest of the two cabins. The window was surrounded by crates that had been pushed aside. They seemed to be old, so Chase and Ryder figured they have been there since before the robbers took shelter in the cabins. The cabin itself was about the size of Katie’s pet clinic and ten feet high. Two lights were hanging overhead, illuminating the room. It had a window on all four sides. The outside walls had an old coat of blue that had started to peel off. The triangle-shaped roof had tiles and vines hanging over the edge. The windows were dirty and full of cobwebs. The window above their head was broken in the corner. They looked through the window into the cabin. The center had been completely cleared out. Two tables were placed against the far wall and were littered with the robbed jewelry. In the top corner of one of the tables were stacks of dollar bills. The money was a foot high and five stacks were placed side by side, all of them the same height.

“That’s at least tens of thousands,” Ryder said. Chase nodded.

They heard muffling coming from inside, but they couldn’t understand what they were saying. They crept around the corner to the other side, where one of the windows was slightly open. From there, they could hear better.

“What time is it?” A male asked from the inside.

There was a slight pause. “It’s eight o’\clock,” a second man said. His voice was deeper than the others.

“Ugh, Imma go outside, I’m getting bored here,” the first one said.

“Not yet,” the second one said. “Remember, we still got to wait for the client to call us again.” A third person laughed softly. It sounded like a female laugh. “Something funny, Cassie?”

“Yeah, there is,” Cassie said. “You have been saying that the client will call us again for the past two days, Leo. I’m getting anxious already. I’m considering keeping one of these for myself.”

“How about this?” Leo asked. “If he doesn’t return my call in the next hour, I will let you keep two of your choice, deal?”

There was silence as Cassie thought about it. “Deal.”