3.

Thor came the following day. The team locked down Loki, while [y/n] was out for a run. When she came back, Tony grabbed her by the arm, leading her to the empty kitchen.

"Look [y/l/n], we locked down Loki, but for your own safety you can't go in there." He was still holding on to her arm and looked directly into her eyes. She took a step back looking at Tony.

"I have my orders and those are to interrogate Loki. I need to know everything about what he did in New York." She was starting to get a bit nervous. If everyone says he is so dangerous to be with, even when he is locked up, was she ready to face him then?

"I understand," Tony nodded. "But you can't go in there yet, and not alone. You need to be prepared. I have the Cap helping you to get ready." Tony started to leave the room, leaving [y/n] alone with her thoughts. Was she ready for facing Loki? Was he so bad, or did they just try to scare her away?

-------

"Tony told me to meet you?" Steve interrupted her thoughts. How long had she been sitting here? She looked up. He had his arms crossed and was leaning against the doorframe.

"Yes. I have orders to interrogate Loki, but everyone seems to think that I aren't capable to be doing that." She looked at Steve for a reaction. He was grinning and she started to get annoyed.

"Look I am sure you can handle Loki when he is locked up and all you have to do is talk to him." Steve smiled at her. The first real smile she had seen since she came here. "Why don't we go for a walk? Get out of here." He looked around the room and then at her. Waiting for an answer. She nodded and stood up.

"Sure. Why not." She said and followed him out of the base. The air was cold and fresh, and she tightened her jacket around herself. They walked for a while without any of them saying anything.

"Are you liking it a little bit better around here?" Steve suddenly asked. She looked up at him, realizing how tall he was.

"Well, Sam are smiling at me when he walks by me, Tony made sure I was at the meeting and Wanda seems really nice." She said and shrugged.

"Give it time. They just need to realize that you are not here to destroy everything."

"Well, I think Natasha would rather have me dead than being here." Steve laughed at that comment.

"She will calm down. She is actually really nice once you get to know her." [Y/n] had a hard time believing that, but she wasn't saying anything. They walked a bit in silence before Steve sat down on a bench.

"Tell me about yourself." He said and looked at her while she sat down.

"What do you want to know?" She started to blush, not knowing why.

"Something I can't read in a file." He smiled, noticed her blushing.

"Well." She hesitated, trying to think about what was standing in her file. "I had a rough childhood." Her voice was barely high enough to hear, but Steve didn't ask her to repeat. He was just looking at her, waiting for her to continue. She took a deep breath, not knowing if she wanted to continue, but he was so nice to talk to. So calm, so she straightened her back and put her hands in her lap.

"My mom died when I was a kid, leaving just me, my dad and my little sister. He wasn't very dad material and left me to myself. A lot of time there wasn't any food in the house, and we didn't have a lot of money and what we had the used on beers." She looked at Steve, wondering if she shared too much, but he just sat there, patiently waiting. "One time, we hadn't had anything to eat for a couple of days, and my father hadn't been home for a while too. So, I took my sister to the store. I think I was about 14. We didn't have any money, so I asked her to stand guard while I took what we needed. And I thought we could get away with it, but a man saw and stopped me. I told my sister to run. Turned out he was an agent of S.H.I.E.L.D, and when he found out why I tried to steal those things he offered me a deal. I would join S.H.I.E.L.D and he wouldn't call the police." She stopped talking, couldn't think of the rest of the story, couldn't say it out loud.

Steve looked at her, but for once, there wasn't any pity in his eyes. She hadn't told that story to many people, just her former boyfriends, and all their eyes were filled with pity. But not Steve. He was silent, just looking at her and her at him. And suddenly she felt something on her hand. She looked down, seeing Steve had putted his hand on hers. Comforting her.

Tears were forming in her eyes. She tried to keep them back but lost and one tear ran down her cheek. They sat on the bench for a while before any of them said anything. It was [y/n] who broke the silence.

"We might need to go back." She took her hand and Steve took back his too, before agreeing with her.

"Yeah, we might." He said and stood up. They walked back in silence, but [y/n] could feel him looking at her from time to time.